• IP Copied!
  • TMD - Radioactivity | New Items & New Effect

Would this be something you'd like to see added to TMD?

• Total voters

Roach_

Titan
    Roach_
    Roach_ Roach_
    To start off, I'm a huge radiation fanatic. I've been studying the Chernobyl disaster for over five years now and I specialize in studies of nuclear & industrial disasters. When I heard about the Nuclear Power Plant being added to TMD I was ecstatic. However... it sadly wasn't everything I wished for it to be.

If you've visited the power plant yet, you've probably noticed the ridiculous amount of greenish-black glowing sludge that sits around the location. (Of course, it's only compromised of green glass, dark shaded blocks, etc... but it's. yknow. Radioactive Sludge!) Towards the back of the plant even contains a bit of lore... it appears that one of the fuel towers had broken open or overflowed resulting in a nuclear meltdown, allowing the toxic goop to flow into the nearby town's water source.

This got me thinking. If this is a Nuclear power plant... and there's exposed nuclear sludge lying around... wouldn't this be the recipe for some type of radiation effect?
    ━━━━━
    With this idea being said, I'd like to introduce a proposal for a new effect and two new items. Introducing the Gas Mask, Geiger Counter, and Acute Radiation Illness!
    ━━━━━
    ➤ ACUTE RADIATION ILLNESS

Acute Radiation Illness or sometimes simply called Radiation Sickness is a series of symptoms that appear after exposure to dangerous radioactive areas, chemicals, or objects. In TMD, it would have a similar stage system to a zombie infection, and have three stages.
    • Stage 1 would induce small amounts of the nausea effect (lasting 1-3 seconds) and minor damage (half a heart per every 15 seconds.)
    • Stage 2 would begin if the player fails to leave the dangerous area within 1 minute of their initial exposure. This stage would bring heavy nausea (4-5 seconds), spouts of the blindness effect, random slowness (1-2 seconds), and heavier damage. (1 heart every 10 seconds.)
    • Stage 3 would begin if the player continues to stay in the dangerous area for an additional 2 minutes. This stage would inflict heavy nausea, blindness, and slowness until the player's eventual death. Along with this, much heavier damage would be inflicted such as a possible wither-like effect constantly draining the player's health.
    The radiation illness would be found in certain zones throughout the map such as the Nuclear Power Plant, the Chem Plant, the reactor core underneath the Asylum, and other scattered areas such as possibly the Carnival (In reference to Pripyat's abandoned radioactive carnival) and possibly even in certain rooms of the CDC. I would also like to propose better loot in areas with radiation in exchange for the danger that awaits.
    ━━━━━
    ➤ THE GAS MASK
    The gas mask would be a new item that can be purchased from the shop and found in military & police loot bags around the map. It provides little to no actual head protection but rather protects the player from radioactive particles in zones around the map. When worn, the player would be immune to radiation illness.
    After a few concept sketches, I exported my idea on paper to a minecraft skin model. The mask would look something like this, and rest on top of a player's face, similar to a juggernaut mask.
    mc-gas-mask-1.png
    mc-gas-mask-2.png

* the black "skin" is not apart of the mask. The mask file is entirely transparent. *
    The Gas mask, just like all other pieces of armor, will eventually wear out and lose durability over time. This makes it especially important to keep your gas mask in check before going out into dangerous areas, as the gas mask loses durability not only by player attacks, but by exposure to radiation.
    ━━━━━
    ➤ THE GEIGER COUNTER
    A Geiger counter is a tool that measures active radiation in an area. If you've never seen or heard of a Geiger counter, check out how they work in
    this video. TLDR; when a Geiger Counter detects radiation, it will begin to click. The higher the radiation, the louder & faster the clicking becomes. Most modern Geiger counters are pocket sized and handheld, similar to this one pictured below:
    geiger-counter-2.png

The Geiger Counter item would look something similar to this. When in a player's hand (or possibly even inventory), the Geiger Counter would detect radioactive areas in the map, alerting the player if they're entering a contaminated location- either alerting them to turn back or to equip their mask to move forward.
    ━━━━━
    I understand that this is a very hefty and unrealistic idea to be added to TMD, but I felt as if it would be cool to propose or make a prototype for. I feel because TMD gives players an apocalyptical wasteland, why not add a more lifelike and exciting addition to keep players on their toes?
    Thanks for reading through the whole post. This was a long one!

_Kosmonaut_

Creative Team
    _Kosmonaut_
    _Kosmonaut_ _Kosmonaut_
    I think this would be AWESOME but I think it is already being added. I have seen photos of a gas mask in the developer changelog in the discord server,.

Roach_

Titan
    Roach_
    Roach_ Roach_
    I think this would be AWESOME but I think it is already being added. I have seen photos of a gas mask in the developer changelog in the discord server,.
    SERIOUSLY?? NO WAY!!! I'm so excited! I'm so glad that there's at least some kind of possibility... all my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. dreams are coming true!

zBros_

Mythical
    zBros_
    zBros_ zBros_
    To start off, I'm a huge radiation fanatic. I've been studying the Chernobyl disaster for over five years now and I specialize in studies of nuclear & industrial disasters. When I heard about the Nuclear Power Plant being added to TMD I was ecstatic. However... it sadly wasn't everything I wished for it to be.

If you've visited the power plant yet, you've probably noticed the ridiculous amount of greenish-black glowing sludge that sits around the location. (Of course, it's only compromised of green glass, dark shaded blocks, etc... but it's. yknow. Radioactive Sludge!) Towards the back of the plant even contains a bit of lore... it appears that one of the fuel towers had broken open or overflowed resulting in a nuclear meltdown, allowing the toxic goop to flow into the nearby town's water source.

This got me thinking. If this is a Nuclear power plant... and there's exposed nuclear sludge lying around... wouldn't this be the recipe for some type of radiation effect?
    ━━━━━
    With this idea being said, I'd like to introduce a proposal for a new effect and two new items. Introducing the Gas Mask, Geiger Counter, and Acute Radiation Illness!
    ━━━━━

Acute Radiation Illness or sometimes simply called Radiation Sickness is a series of symptoms that appear after exposure to dangerous radioactive areas, chemicals, or objects. In TMD, it would have a similar stage system to a zombie infection, and have three stages.
    • Stage 1 would induce small amounts of the nausea effect (lasting 1-3 seconds) and minor damage (half a heart per every 15 seconds.)
    • Stage 2 would begin if the player fails to leave the dangerous area within 1 minute of their initial exposure. This stage would bring heavy nausea (4-5 seconds), spouts of the blindness effect, random slowness (1-2 seconds), and heavier damage. (1 heart every 10 seconds.)
    • Stage 3 would begin if the player continues to stay in the dangerous area for an additional 2 minutes. This stage would inflict heavy nausea, blindness, and slowness until the player's eventual death. Along with this, much heavier damage would be inflicted such as a possible wither-like effect constantly draining the player's health.
    The radiation illness would be found in certain zones throughout the map such as the Nuclear Power Plant, the Chem Plant, the reactor core underneath the Asylum, and other scattered areas such as possibly the Carnival (In reference to Pripyat's abandoned radioactive carnival) and possibly even in certain rooms of the CDC. I would also like to propose better loot in areas with radiation in exchange for the danger that awaits.
    ━━━━━
    ➤ THE GAS MASK

The gas mask would be a new item that can be purchased from the shop and found in military & police loot bags around the map. It provides little to no actual head protection but rather protects the player from radioactive particles in zones around the map. When worn, the player would be immune to radiation illness.
    After a few concept sketches, I exported my idea on paper to a minecraft skin model. The mask would look something like this, and rest on top of a player's face, similar to a juggernaut mask.
    mc-gas-mask-1.png
    mc-gas-mask-2.png

* the black "skin" is not apart of the mask. The mask file is entirely transparent. *
    The Gas mask, just like all other pieces of armor, will eventually wear out and lose durability over time. This makes it especially important to keep your gas mask in check before going out into dangerous areas, as the gas mask loses durability not only by player attacks, but by exposure to radiation.
    ━━━━━
    ➤ THE GEIGER COUNTER
    A Geiger counter is a tool that measures active radiation in an area. If you've never seen or heard of a Geiger counter, check out how they work in
    this video. TLDR; when a Geiger Counter detects radiation, it will begin to click. The higher the radiation, the louder & faster the clicking becomes. Most modern Geiger counters are pocket sized and handheld, similar to this one pictured below:
    geiger-counter-2.png

The Geiger Counter item would look something similar to this. When in a player's hand (or possibly even inventory), the Geiger Counter would detect radioactive areas in the map, alerting the player if they're entering a contaminated location- either alerting them to turn back or to equip their mask to move forward.
    ━━━━━
    I understand that this is a very hefty and unrealistic idea to be added to TMD, but I felt as if it would be cool to propose or make a prototype for. I feel because TMD gives players an apocalyptical wasteland, why not add a more lifelike and exciting addition to keep players on their toes?
    This idea its amazing i really love how do you describe the stages i think its a really certain idea of the stages of the radiation exposition, this will be added, STAFF'S ADD THIS!

DerKaempfer_HD

Sr Builder
    DerKaempfer_HD
    DerKaempfer_HD DerKaempfer_HD
    Yes, my radiation (glowing in the dark) walkers may finally be a thing

Edit: a thing i suggested months ago which received good feedback

F

FireRageHD

━━━━━
    ━━━━━

━━━━━
    ➤ THE GAS MASK

mc-gas-mask-1.png
    mc-gas-mask-2.png

━━━━━
    ➤ THE GEIGER COUNTER

geiger-counter-2.png

━━━━━
    I'd love to see this added in TMD, I've too been a fan of the Chernobyl Disaster. There's actually a documentary/TV Series on HBO called Chernobyl that explains how and why Chernobyl happened along with the Aftermath of it if you are interested.

DerKaempfer_HD

Sr Builder
    DerKaempfer_HD
    DerKaempfer_HD DerKaempfer_HD
    I'd love to see this added in TMD, I've too been a fan of the Chernobyl Disaster. There's actually a documentary/TV Series on HBO called Chernobyl that explains how and why Chernobyl happened along with the Aftermath of it if you are interested.
    As said by nick, there is plans but nothing extremly concrete yet, seeing that this was posted 1 year ago, it is likely that it can still take a while. Development has other priorities at the time given.

Ps. Try not to necropost; reviving long dead threads with more or less unnecessary replies.