• IP Copied!
  • Being a Beta Tester and what you need to know

JT900

JT900
    JT900 JT900
    For anyone considering joining the beta tester team with us (located here), I'm here to give you some insight on what it's like before joining. Don't consider this bashing on the staff, devs, builders, or whatever else. I'm being completely and utterly honest. If you get offended or angry at me, that's your prerogative. Someone needed to do this.

• You have to search for the issues on your own volition - Upon joining, I'd have thought being a Beta Tester was going to be a fun learning experience to help iron out kinks in the server for newer updates and provide a better experience for players. The problem is that we're not given any information on possible locations/plugins we need to test. We have to find these things ourselves, which is slowing production and taking way too much time. So I hope you're quick to find problems on the beta server, because you won't be given any information on where or what to look for first.
    • You have to use your own resources in-game - Sometimes, beta tests require testing crates, the voting system, item chances, buying items from NPCs, and rarely testing ranks (which we have yet to do, who knows what kinds of problems we'll find?). Stuff like that requires in-game money or a rank, which we're never provided. Crates aren't provided for us to test on and none of us are really sure on how to get them without staff help. We aren't given any special rank to help us work on what needs to be worked on. Basically, we're all default ranks on there. You know what that gets us? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    • The beta testing Discord server isn't often talked in - On top of all the crap that bears down on us as a beta team, not a lot is really said in the Discord where we report the bugs and issues found. The most recent message was made last Sunday, and no progress has been made. The suggestions channel is populated with good ideas, and I had sent a ton of the useful suggestions given to us by the community here in the forums via message to some dev who was apparently "close to the owners" in a sense of the word. Only one owner is in it, and that is @Jacobg1998 . You'd think, as owner, he'd take part in informing all of us what's going on. But he doesn't. And the other owners aren't even in there to help us either. Why aren't they there to help us out? We may never know. Either way, it's dead.
    • Morale seems to be low - There are a total of 8 beta testers including me, minus the staff. From the lack of productivity in the beta server and discord, it's easy to assume nobody is really motivated. It's completely understandable considering everything listed above as well. Nobody wants to do anything on there, but what is there to do without resources or information?
    • Some staff members get angry when regular players ask if an update is even going to happen - Now this is the kicker. As a beta tester, you do actually have access to updates before the rest of the community. Players over time get angsty and want to know if an update will even happen. Instead of the staff that are online being nice and all that fun stuff, they simply say "stop hassling us" when there actually is no hassle at all. It's hard enough to like this server with how boring it's getting. Getting pissed off at members for wanting information isn't going to help. Be an example, not a joke. Throw them a metaphorical bone to help make players happy something is coming instead of beating them down by telling them nothing. I've tried explaining what's going on to no avail since the players that ask usually end up offline or go away from the Havoc Discord after getting essentially discarded.
    • The staff members on the beta team review the updates before we do - Funny, right? They made the beta team to actually test updates, but they do it themselves before we actually get to do anything. All that power as a beta tester, all that time taken up with this whole shindig, all the mistreatment of the beta testing team itself. Wasted because the staff already looked it over. So why are we even here as a beta testing team? I have no clue. Sometimes, I think it's a nice joke they decided to play to make us feel important. Like we're actually helping HavocMC. But you know what? It seems like it's all for nothing. This is the only little bit in this whole thread that I'll call out staff and the owners, and I'm not sorry. I've tried holding out hope with this whole situation for it to get better and it hasn't. If you join the beta testing team, don't rely on staff to help you. Because they won't.
    That's basically all there is. I've said all I needed to say and I'm ready for what's to come.
    Thank you staff for adding me onto the beta team, but I want to actually help these people instead of whatever we're doing now. This is ridiculous in every sense of the word.

Peace out

Last edited:

SummonersJhift

Mythical
    SummonersJhift
    SummonersJhift SummonersJhift
    If you join the beta testing team, don't rely on staff to help you. Because they won't.
    Most of the staff aren't even aware of what's going on. If you want to make the claim you haven't been contacted by higher-ups or owners, that's fine, but "staff" includes helpers and Jr. Mods.

MaximusOctavius

maximillian12
    maximillian12 maximillian12
    For anyone considering joining the beta tester team with us (located here), I'm here to give you some insight on what it's like before joining. Don't consider this bashing on the staff, devs, builders, or whatever else. I'm being completely and utterly honest. If you get offended or angry at me, that's your prerogative. Someone needed to do this.

• You have to search for the issues on your own volition - Upon joining, I'd have thought being a Beta Tester was going to be a fun learning experience to help iron out kinks in the server for newer updates and provide a better experience for players. The problem is that we're not given any information on possible locations/plugins we need to test. We have to find these things ourselves, which is slowing production and taking way too much time. So I hope you're quick to find problems on the beta server, because you won't be given any information on where or what to look for first.
    • You have to use your own resources in-game - Sometimes, beta tests require testing crates, the voting system, item chances, buying items from NPCs, and rarely testing ranks (which we have yet to do, who knows what kinds of problems we'll find?). Stuff like that requires in-game money or a rank, which we're never provided. Crates aren't provided for us to test on and none of us are really sure on how to get them without staff help. We aren't given any special rank to help us work on what needs to be worked on. Basically, we're all default ranks on there. You know what that gets us? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
    • The beta testing Discord server isn't often talked in - On top of all the crap that bears down on us as a beta team, not a lot is really said in the Discord where we report the bugs and issues found. The most recent message was made last Sunday, and no progress has been made. The suggestions channel is populated with good ideas, and I had sent a ton of the useful suggestions given to us by the community here in the forums via message to some dev who was apparently "close to the owners" in a sense of the word. Only one owner is in it, and that is @Jacobg1998 . You'd think, as owner, he'd take part in informing all of us what's going on. But he doesn't. And the other owners aren't even in there to help us either. Why aren't they there to help us out? We may never know. Either way, it's dead.
    • Morale seems to be low - There are a total of 8 beta testers including me, minus the staff. From the lack of productivity in the beta server and discord, it's easy to assume nobody is really motivated. It's completely understandable considering everything listed above as well. Nobody wants to do anything on there, but what is there to do without resources or information?
    • Some staff members get angry when regular players ask if an update is even going to happen - Now this is the kicker. As a beta tester, you do actually have access to updates before the rest of the community. Players over time get angsty and want to know if an update will even happen. Instead of the staff that are online being nice and all that fun stuff, they simply say "stop hassling us" when there actually is no hassle at all. It's hard enough to like this server with how boring it's getting. Getting pissed off at members for wanting information isn't going to help. Be an example, not a joke. Throw them a metaphorical bone to help make players happy something is coming instead of beating them down by telling them nothing. I've tried explaining what's going on to no avail since the players that ask usually end up offline or go away from the Havoc Discord after getting essentially discarded.
    • The staff members on the beta team review the updates before we do - Funny, right? They made the beta team to actually test updates, but they do it themselves before we actually get to do anything. All that power as a beta tester, all that time taken up with this whole shindig, all the mistreatment of the beta testing team itself. Wasted because the staff already looked it over. So why are we even here as a beta testing team? I have no clue. Sometimes, I think it's a nice joke they decided to play to make us feel important. Like we're actually helping HavocMC. But you know what? It seems like it's all for nothing. This is the only little bit in this whole thread that I'll call out staff and the owners, and I'm not sorry. I've tried holding out hope with this whole situation for it to get better and it hasn't. If you join the beta testing team, don't rely on staff to help you. Because they won't.
    That's basically all there is. I've said all I needed to say and I'm ready for what's to come.
    Thank you staff for adding me onto the beta team, but I want to actually help these people instead of whatever we're doing now. This is ridiculous in every sense of the word.

Peace out
    We are aware of these issues and we are working on improving our relationship with the community. We will be interacting with the Beta Testers much more and we will also be asking for their input on future updates. Thank You.