• IP Copied!
  • TMD: Bounties

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    A bounty is a reward for killing a player. Think 1-5k$, nothing huge. But a small morality system offers fun incentives in a server like this.

Bounty System:

Killing someone is now worth $0-$5,000, and the amount depends on how the target behaved during their life.

Your bounty increases when you do bad things.

It will add to your bounty when you initiate pvp (you shoot first). Pvp Kills also add to your bounty.

Killing walkers, bandits, or wolves lowers your bounty. Dying resets your bounty to $0.

Your compass can point to the highest bounty within 2000 blocks.

After 1000 bounty, players are no longer penalized for shooting you first.

You can pay off your bounty at a cost of 1:1 at a safezone, so you can reset your bounty to $0 without dying.

Last edited:

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    Couldn't this be an easy way to farm for cash?
    No, because anyone who has a large bounty will not be an easy kill, they will be a successful pvper and probably wearing good gear.

If you are asking about exploiting, yes there would have to be rules against exploits. There’s nothing wrong with 1v1ing a friend while you’re bountied, but you can’t get naked and purposefully let them kill you for the $.

One easy way to automatically prevent “friendly bounty” exploits is to make it so that your bounty is taken from your own bank once your bounty passes a certain point (for this example’s current numbers, think the 2500-5000 range). Don’t worry about losing the max $ every life, you won’t. For example: If every kill added 100 to your bounty, you’d have to kill 25 people before your bank was affected.

And remember, all numbers are arbitrary on forum suggestions. Don’t focus on the numbers✌️

mindblaster007

Mythical
    mindblaster007
    mindblaster007 mindblaster007
    This can be abused in countless ways. Staff won’t be able to prove if a player was abusing it or not without a straight up confession. There is also no easy and accurate way to automate this so it can’t be abused. Honestly, best bet is to make a bounty system where players do /bounty set [username] [price] and it deducts cash from the player and whoever kills the player with the bounty gets the cash. This can still be abused but not as drastic as what you suggested and will have little to no impact economy. What you suggested would just be abused and there would be no way to control the abuse.

mindblaster007

Mythical
    mindblaster007
    Mine is the most popular amongst PvP servers and those who abuse it with alts can be easily punished because staff can check if IPs match.

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    Here’s a hypothetical (nearly) abuse free, cash negative rule-set. I don’t think we need all of these.

When you die, if you are over level 10, your bounty is subtracted from your bank and the balance minus 100 is given to your opponent.

The cash value of the kill only goes up to $5,000. The bounty and penalty can get bigger but it will still only be worth $5k. The most you can earn from killing someone is $5000, while the most you can lose from dying is $??? (However high you can get your bounty, it will slowly grow with each kill).

This ruleset would mean it is impossible to go cash positive with friendly bountying.

I agree, the cash needs to be balanced so that it’s interesting but not game breaking. What’s more important than the cash is something that makes people not want a high bounty.
    For example one or more of these could happen:
    • All compasses point to highest bounty within 2k blocks
    • At 5k bounty your coordinates are announced in chat every five minutes
    • You get slowness for 2 seconds when you enter combat
    • Every 5 mins a group of bandit and wolf bounty hunters spawn near you.
    Anything can be used to make bounties bad.

It would be nice if people playing the Walking Dead had a reason to not just murder ever single person they meet.

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    1. The whole 5k thing seems a bit unfair though

2. Not everyone should have a player tracker!
    It would take away the whole point of legend kit

3. And the whole over level 10 wont work either
    People can just use friends
    1. How is $5,000 dollars unfair? Remember, in our hypothetical numbers you’d have to kill 50 players to reach the $5k mark. It’s just a cost ceiling to prevent bounties from being too lucrative. Try not to get hung up on numbers. If you find yourself saying “that idea is bad because of the numbers” remember the numbers are just placeholders. I’ve explained this already.

2. The player tracker would only point to very high bounties, think people who had killed 15+ people. It would only point to the biggest, baddest murderer within its range, so it’s not like it’s an easy hunt. It would not point to anyone who has a lower bounty or zero bounty.
    It would be much less powerful than the Hunter kit, in multiple ways. The hunter kit has no range, and can point to anyone.
    The bounty tracking system might not even use a compass, perhaps it works by announcing coordinates in local chat, or posting a live zone location (G6, B4, etc) of the 3 highest bounties on a sign in safe zones.

3. Read more carefully, the example ruleset prevents you from benefiting by “using friends” to farm bounties. If you have a 2000 bounty and your friend kills you, you lose 2000, they get 1900. Or, you could make it even harsher, you lose 2000, they only get 50%, 1000. The important thing you’re missing: the net cash is negative.
    The level suggestion to protect the banks of players new to server is just to hold their hands a bit as they find their feet. The sub-level 10 players would also not be worth any $ to kill.

mindblaster007

Mythical
    mindblaster007
    Players shouldn’t be able to lose their own cash for dying, end of story. This has been mentioned in the past and has been shot down every time.

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    Remember you wouldn’t lose cash until you killed numerous (5-10+) people.

If losing cash after going on a murder spree is too hardcore for this server, then you can still use one of the numerous other negative effects I listed.

And on the flip side, if even a nominal cash reward is too high for the inflated economy, then you can craft other incentives to hunt bountied players. Perhaps you get speed1 for 15 minutes after you kill a bounty. Maybe bounties give Elo multipliers. Maybe killing 5 bounties in a single life gives you a ‘bounty hunter supply drop’. Maybe having a lot of bounty kills adds to your monthly rewards.

Which incentives would you use to implement a morality system?
    The goal is to reward people for playing the game like a person, weighing risks, working together; instead of killing everything on sight and playing the game like a murderhobo

mindblaster007

Mythical
    mindblaster007
    Yeah, that’s ridiculous. Bounties should be elective, you shouldn’t be forced to lose your cash when you die because you’re good at the game.

Elene066_

TheORGameshow
    TheORGameshow TheORGameshow
    I see his point though. Because you're good at the game, the game makes it harder for you by unconsciously selecting players within your skillset to murder you. No newbie would try to kill a veteran who just went on a 15-man kill spree and even if, the newbie would have a hard time. Perhaps also, bounties shouldn't be placed by players, but by the server. For example we use the rules from earlier with small modifications. Killing someone is worth 1k-5k, but will only be placed on a player after 3 kills with which the third kill will be the one which activates the bounty. This will also require for the player to be the one to throw first blood in all 3 cases. This can stack up from 1k - 50k and can be reduced by, as Dsawemd mentioned in the first post, killing walkers and bandits or by paying the bounty off in the safezone 1 to 1. Allies and friends can't reveive the bounty, because why would they? They are friends and allies. Also players who were unfriended or kicked from the own or an allied team 24 hours before, can't receive the bounty. And perhaps killing someone with a bounty will reduce the own one 1 to 1. So if you have 30k on your heads and you kill someone with a 20k worth bounty, your own bounty will be reduced to 10k.

In this way, no one will lose money, since the money is being placed server side. Abuse of bounty by friends or other allies will be prevented and since the ips of alts can be checked, this would be a fail-proof suggestion.

Elene066_

TheORGameshow
    No, this still wouldnt work
    Everything in this server, whether its bases, equipment, Juggernaught, a team, golden weapons, or even your elo, is meant to be insecure

You're not meant to have complete control over this
    Youre not meant to be able to predict your death, or how much you will loose from it, and youre not meant to be able to get the things you lost back when you die

That's all unfortunate, but it's how the server works
    You're not meant to have control
    There are meant to be some factors that other players, and the mechanisms of the game control

However money, well money is meant to be something you can control, and that you choose what to do with it, whether to buy off /ah, get a base, or bribe others.
    It's meant to be one of the only secure things in the game

You could have 1.3 mil one week, and if you never choose to spend it, then you could have that money in weeks to come
    That's because it's a stable, and reliable investment

You cant take money off people! It doesn't work!
    Its there for the reason that you have control over it, and it's not in the form of an item, deliberately so that you cant die with it.

It doesn't make any sense, and would be incredibly impractical to implement this!

Appreciate the reliability of currency, because this idea just goes against one of the main factors of how the TMD economy works, and that's that it is stable, and each and every player can secure what they have.

:)
    I think you didn't read what I wrote. You won't lose money, since the money is being placed server side. In this case the bounty only functions as an opportunity for other players to get money. The one being hunted won't lose it.

Elene066_

TheORGameshow
    You cant just add cash into the economy like that
    Although the average player may only have a bounty of around 1000, a few 100 players get killed every day, maybe more
    This would add a few 100k into the economy daily

It still wont work
    Money has to be withdrawn from somewhere to be able to give it out freely
    And because you cant take cash from a player, the whole idea just wont work

As I said, if we want the server to have more assassinations, and more purposeful killings, you cant make rules for this, only the community can make this change

And for the community to do this, just follow these simple rules:

Dont kill everyone you meet
    Make friends with beginners, because if you show them mercy, they will have mercy on others later
    Kill those who do wrong
    Punish the people who scam, not by scamming them back, but by hunting them down
    And above all do not farm beginners
    It's wrong, 1 extra kill for you, means the loss of everything for them

That's well thought out. What if we just go back to the original suggestion. Players can manually put bounties on others by spending their own money, which can also result in stacking. Only the money, players purposefully put on others, will be withdrawn without effecting the target's money itsself. Allies and friends can't retrieve the bounty nor anyone who was ally or friend 24 hours before. IPs will be checked in the process.

I know, that bounties do exist inofficial, I myself was hunter and hunted, but with something like a bounty plug-in, not only more players will think about their reckless actions, but the system itsself offers a trustworthy basis, since it's official and hardly to bypass. Scamming can't be done in an official platform, since it's server-side and not depended on the players.

Elene066_

TheORGameshow
    That's actually a really good suggestion

I mean the whole friends and allies, but I think it should be even more secure.
    The players should not have spent over 15 minutes within 200 blocks of each other, cannot have been allies or friends, IP's will be checked, and obviously if somebody suspects another person of bounty farming, it will be reported, and the player shall be banned

This is the most efficient official way of implementing bounties I think, and is actually something I'd like to see introduced

Obviously staff would encounter problems, but to solve that, and to make sure people dont loose too much to bounty farmers, the max cash you can out on someone should be 20k

Once they've solved all the problems afterwards, they can raise this cap slowly, until it is fully integrated into the system

:)

Glad to hear, that you think it's good. Wouldn't have been possible without the persistent critism of yours.

Dsawemd

Mythical
    Dsawemd
    Dsawemd Dsawemd
    To the potatoes who keep repeating “money for bounties is bad ” please read the posts that respond to you.

If you like one of the moneyless solutions, add to it.
    If you don’t like any of the moneyless suggestions, make your own.

I still think nominal cash values could easily be added to this, without a cash penalty, even if it adds some money to the economy. I think a ceiling of $5k (not fifty k) is enough to add incentive to try and fight a harder foe, without breaking the economy or being too op to exploit. If the cash reward requires ~15 kills to activate, it wouldn’t occur that often.

@mindblaster007 Bounties can’t be elective 1)You can’t pick and choose when you want a morality system to apply 2) Allowing players to choose who has a bounty will just lead to bounties being abused by the millionaires.
    The entire point of this suggestion is a morality system, which will incentivize less random murder by rewarding you for being friendly, and lightly penalizing you for being a jerk.

Last edited:
    F

FireRageHD

increases
    A bounty is a reward for killing a player. Think 1-5k$, nothing huge. But a small morality system offers fun incentives in a server like this.

Bounty System:

Killing someone is now worth $0-$5,000, and the amount depends on how the target behaved during their life.

Your bounty increases when you do bad things.

It will add to your bounty when you initiate pvp (you shoot first). Pvp Kills also add to your bounty.

Killing walkers, bandits, or wolves lowers your bounty. Dying resets your bounty to $0.

Your compass can point to the highest bounty within 2000 blocks.

After 1000 bounty, players are no longer penalized for shooting you first.

You can pay off your bounty at a cost of 1:1 at a safezone, so you can reset your bounty to $0 without dying.
    So instead of increasing your bounty based on amounted kills, zombies, etc. I'd suggest a bounty system that only players can add on to. Therefore, it cannot be exploited, because people would be using their own money to place a bounty on someone's death. The trackable bounties is a good suggestion, but would be too overpowered. For example if I wanted to find someone I'd just have to place a bounty on them and track them.