• IP Copied!
  • "The Dead Land." - A Story. Idk who's it is. So.

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    JosieViolent20 JosieViolent20
    Prologue.

We've all experienced some form of pain before our lives.
    An injury, a death, sadness, even when you were small and you'd cry for no reason what-so-ever.
    (We've all been there, don't lie. Sometimes we still do.)
    And yet each one of those things have somehow built us up to be who we are now.
    The direction you take, however, is up to you. You could let it inspire you to face your life with everything you have and use your past experiences to better yourself for the future ones.
    Or you could become bitter and jealous of the ones who haven't had to experience what you have.
    But what if nature also has these experiences and emotions?

Plants, animals, air, water, everything.
    What if somehow they've experienced pain like we have, and either let it spark emotions of happiness and look on the brighter side of this world, or let it drive them into a corrupt form?
    From a small seed to a giant tree, we all have a choice in what path we take.
    We all can fall victim to the other side of which we wanted to be.

But what if nature found a way to force it?
    What if it found a way to grab us from behind and drag us into the unknown?
    No one knows what hides in the shadows. No one has opened their eyes long enough to see what's actually there. We all have to sleep at some point. But they don't.
    They spread their illnesses, and they spread their healing abilities.
    They take advantage of us, and they give us everything they have.

What you would do if you found a seed that could grow into something worse
    than death and suffering itself? Why do I ask?
    Because you have found it. You didn't stop it. You encouraged it to breathe.
    You are that seed. Grow, and don't stop until there's nothing left.

Or I'll force you to.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 1.
    The Storm's Song.

I remember how everything looked that day. Everything seemed wilted and dry.
    I remember walking out of what I think were bushes, only to see darkness and death on the ground. A giant storm above it.
    Clouds darker than night, no light shown through them. So dark that there were shadows on the ground from it.
    I could barely see the end of the clouds, it was a long ways away.
    The sound of the wind was strong and it wasn't as peaceful as it usually would have been.
    You can imagine the sounds of a soft rainfall, or something similar. How peaceful it could be.
    I like the thought of sitting on a porch and listening to it.
    But the sounds the rain, wind, thunder and lightning, they weren't similar to that in the slightest.
    It almost sounded like they were screaming in pain.

Oddly enough, I know that feeling. I'm not sure how, though.
    I'm familiar with the feeling of suffering. Wanting it to end, even if it meant death.
    Then you try to think, "Pain is only temporary," but it doesn't help like it used to.
    It only makes it worse. The meaning of the word "temporary" turns into "forever."
    The moment when your body gives up, and you seem to lose interest in caring.
    Then the glorious moment when you lose feeling, or you somehow get used to it.
    Either way, you want to celebrate. You know you're dying, but you don't care.
    You embrace it. And that's what I ended up doing.
    So why am I here? Why don't I remember it?

I sit up and look at the grass around me, I'm not exactly sure where I am.
    As I get up off of my feet, I notice there is a slight tug on my arm, and something slides off of the other.
    Rotted looking vines coming out of the ground? Or something similar.
    The more I look, the more I begin to notice they're wrapped around me yet simple for me to get off.
    There aren't many, seeing as a lot of them have previously been snapped in half from withering so much.
    That's a unique thing to wake up to, now isn't it?

I look at the tree I was laid back on. There are dead roots and healthy roots popping out of the ground.
    The tree is strong, young, and healthy as well. What exactly happened here?

It doesn't matter. I should figure out what I'm doing here and head home-...
    Where is home? I don't recognize this place. I don't seem to recall my home either.
    Imagine how cliche this would seem if it were in some sort of story book or something.
    Oh well, not my problem. I bet people would call me crazy for that, but I seem to be alone out here.

Speaking of which, where are the birds?
    I haven't heard a bird's voice, a rustle in the trees, heard any bugs near the flowers in the distance, nothing.
    Actually, this entire place seems a bit off. It almost seems like everything had died here, and a new forest came in its place.
    Maybe that's it? Or maybe I'm just dumber than I look. Either way, I really should be heading home.
    And if I can't do that, I'll have to find a new one.

As I begin my search for a way out of this forest or some sort of suitable place for a quick rest,
    I see yellow glowing eyes in the distance watching me from deep in the forest.
    Slowly I begin to realize I might not be as "alone" as I thought.
    Now I just need to figure out if that's a good thing.
    Its either that or I just found supper.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 2.
    Golden Eyes and Witchcraft.

I go after whatever's in the distance.
    It somehow disappears from my sight after a while, I still can't tell what it is, its black.
    It appears on the trees while I, being too weak to climb trees, am stuck with following below.
    To be fair I think I could easily climb them if I tried, but it'd be a waste of time if I failed.
    But I doubt that I could fly from one branch to another like a monkey like they are.
    I get a quick glimpse of it in the light, I saw skin.

Is this a person? I thought I was the only person in this forest..
    "Who are you," I try to ask, only to be ignored. I continue our chase.
    It leads me to a small stream and as I run across, I seem to freeze in mid air.
    I look around, the water around me has turned to actual ice and is wrapped around my legs and climbing up my body and caging it in. The odd character turns and looks at me. It is a person. I wonder how many other people are in this forest. Who put people in ice cages. And climb trees. And wears sleeveless black jackets. And have glowing yellow eyes.
    "Aren't you smart," I say, "You caught a human with cold water. Now that's new."

Their voice replies in confusion, "Why aren't you afraid? Have you seen this happen before?"
    I shake my head slightly. "No, nothing close to it. But if I begin screaming like a stupid child then I wouldn't learn anything, would I?"
    It sounds like a guy's voice the more I think about it. They sort of look like one too. Even though they haven't faced me yet.

I watch him as he's standing infront of me.
    "Who are you anyway," I ask, "I woke up nearby and I was looking for a way to get out of this forest. Then I saw you and you ran." "I wasn't running from you, stupid girl," he says, "If you had half of a mind to pay attention, I wasn't even trying to escape something as weak and incredibly slow as you. I was leading you here. You obviously don't know anything about this forest. So why are you in it?" "I woke up here," I reply. "I don't know why but I can't remember how I got here or where my home may be. As well as that, I also have no idea how to get out of here. So if you could please put your arrogance aside, I'd like to be pointed in
    the right direction."
    All I hear in return is a sigh as he walks away. The ice doesn't budge.

"I'm talking to you," I begin to yell, "Come back here and let me out! Are you seriously this stupid?"
    He keeps walking. I struggle against the ice, not that I can move much now that it's gotten up to my arms.
    "I said Let Me Out!" He pauses in his tracks and turns to face me.
    "As you wish," he says under his breath. When he faces me, I see his eyes aren't glowing anymore. I see his face. He has yellow eyes and dark black hair. His eyes begin to glow.
    I saw a bright light come out of nowhere, and then I saw nothing.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 3.
    The Ruins.

As I'm mercilessly dragged out of a cage, I begin to have a nice look around this crappy hole that this moron lives in.
    They actually have a huge base up in giant trees, I could barely see the ground.
    I woke up a few days ago. They didn't come in the room I was chained to the ground in for a full day. One day someone peeked their head in and saw that I was awake and closed the door again. I saw leaves and wood. Lots of wood, so I figured it was some kind of kid's fort.
    They gave me food later on, and I began to feel exhausted and slept. Then this morning I woke up.
    Little did I know that it had so many people with fancy yellow and orange looking eyes, though.
    I almost feel left out. But at least I'm getting their royal treatment, obviously.

Today is my first day out of that room.
    When I was finally allowed out of the ropes and stood up on the wooden floor tied with incredibly strong vines and a few ropes,
    I noticed my ****** was the same man who brought me here.
    "Why have you brought me here," I ask. He grabs me by the back of my shirt and holds me over the edge of the wood,
    with nothing below me but what I can barely make out as grass, rocks, and dark brown soil.
    He says, "You asked for me to let you go, didn't you?" My eyes widen, "Are you insane?!"
    "I'm just doing what you asked-," "You're trying to Kill Me," I interrupt.

In all honesty, I'm not afraid of heights. I know that's no excuse, but to add to that, oddly enough I seem to feel something from him.
    I'm not sure what it is yet. But he seems familiar to me. When I was chasing him, it almost felt... fun. Like a game.
    I feel like I somehow know that he won't hurt me. I'm content. Yet I don't even know him.
    "If you're going to drop me," I say. "Huh," he replies. I continue, "could you please speed it up? If you aren't, then I can go back to my room until you feel ready." He's silent, and he doesn't move. Eventually he throws me back onto the wooden platform.
    His dusts his hands off and mutters to himself, "Stupid witch."
    "Excuse me," I ask, "What do you mean by that?" He turns and looks at me, "You're a witch, are you not?"
    I squint my eyes at him, "Witch? Let me guess, your little tribe of boyscouts actually believe in nonsense? Too much beer perhaps?"
    He chuckles, "You're a stupid mortal then, if you aren't a witch. I could've sworn... Oh well."
    "I'm a human being, as are you," I reply.

He stares at me, "W-.. What did you just say?"
    "You heard me," I tell him, "Now either we can continue bickering or-"
    A man walks to where we are, he has light orange eyes and light-ish brown hair. Most of the people here seem to have brown or black
    hair colors, yellow or orange eyes, and they do enjoy their brown or black clothing and sleeveless jackets with hoods and no buttons.
    "What do you want, Finlick," the man says. The brown haired guy, apparently named Finlick, turns and faces me.
    "Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes," he says, "What are you doing on the floor, witch? Get up, we haven't had one of your kind around in a long time. I'm sure we could make good work out of you-" Before he could finish his sentence, the man grabs him and throws him off the platform. In return, Finlick melodically sings his screaming song for us until it can no longer be heard.
    The man's eyes slightly glow. "You're angry," I say. He turns back to looking at me, "How can you tell."
    "Your eyes," I answer, "they're glowing. So, you and your people, your eyes glow when you feel strong emotions."
    He shrugs, "When you put it that way, yeah, I guess. You should be the same way, but yours aren't like ours."
    "What do you mean," I ask. He says, "Your eyes are not our type of color. They aren't red either. We're Researchers. We study unique and powerful things with the mind and strange creatures. Red eyes would imply you have the bloodline of Blood Magic Users."

"What do my eyes mean," I ask. He pauses, and looks at my face, then says, "Well.. They're deep purple.. So.."
    "What's wrong so bad about that," I snap.
    He tilts his head a bit, shakes his head, then stands up.
    "How would I know," he snaps back, "I've never met your kind before."

He walks away.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 5.
    A Friendly Face.

The next week I spend trying to get used to the place.
    I was told that I could stay here for a while by the Researchers, seeing as I'm not an enemy of theirs.
    They dislike the Blood Magic Users the most, and some of those tribes have witches as well.
    The reason for that is because witches are apparently known to have lust for only one thing - Learning more and gaining more power.
    Blood Magic is apparently one of the easiest ways to gain strength in your own body.
    Its also the most dangerous, cruel, and unreliable way of doing so. But they don't care.
    However, Researchers study the mind and the world around them. They don't need to rely on improving their bodies.
    They live to heal the world around them and help it grow, even if it means sacrificing part of themselves for it.
    There is a high cost, though, if you get too deep into your research.
    You eventually will have to give up most of who you are for your studies if you want to continue.
    And by the time Researchers get to a certain point and find this information, there isn't any other option in their minds
    but to take it and use it until there is nothing left. Even if it causes chaos.

The Blood Magic Users don't believe in their work.
    They believe the world should be left to do things on its own, and that us as humans are superior to everything.
    They believe that we could destroy a forest, clean it of all animals and living life, and it'd come back better than new.
    He said to me that that's what they did to this forest long ago. They were wrong.

For the past six days I've been helping out around here, that guy hasn't stopped keeping an eye on me.
    I was told by some of the people here that he'd lay off after a day or so, but now he's just creeping me out.
    I try helping to clean, bringing supplies from rooms, anything I can. In return they've let me use one of the small rooms as a home
    until I find my own, yet this... This... Stalker, won't leave me alone!

"You haven't forgotten what we told you," he asks, "did you?"
    I roll my eyes and don't look at him as I'm picking up some of the small jars and two books, "No, paranoid, I haven't."
    He laughs, "Paranoid? I am Not paranoid. I'm just keeping an eye out for... the people here. Including you."
    "What does that mean," I reply. "It means, you stupid brat," he says, "that if something happens to you here, it'll just make us look worse. You have been told over and over that the other tribes and magic users dislike our kind. Blood Magics especially. We used to
    have an ally with some very intelligent and advanced scientists. They'd make things, machines, and so much more that we were only
    able to explain with their help and teachings. We showed each other new things. And now they have sworn never to speak to us again."
    "That sounds awful," I say, "I feel so sorry for them." He growls, "Listen, smart-mouth. You can either behave or-"
    I turn and look at him. "I'm not your Dog. Here, if you wanted a maid, how about you take these to the students while I do Your job for you? You know, yelling at people, calling them names for no reason? Sounds accurate enough, don't you think?"
    I shove the books and jars on him and slam the door behind me.

The students are the children of some of the Researchers here. There's a study room for them.
    They learn on their own. Blood Magic Users have to be taught how to do things by other people. Researchers don't.
    "In my opinion, they're complete opposites. I don't see why that should be an issue for them to get along, though," I say to Mariah.
    She's a nice girl, I met her two days ago. She helped me figure out what the labels on the shelves meant.. I'm still new here and all.
    She gave me a list of their names in the scientific way of saying them, and what they look like.
    The jars are filled with liquids. Different colors, different smells. Some aren't even allowed near others or they could explode just
    from the scent. Things here are very weird. Anyway, Mariah is a student herself. She's eleven. She said she'll be twelve soon.
    "Well," she says, "I thought you said the same thing about that guy? That you and him were nothing alike?"
    "What' your point," I reply. She continues tinkering with her supplies, "What I mean is, if you think our kind and the Blood Magic's could get along, then why not you and Owen?" "Owen," I say, "I keep forgetting his name.. He never actually told it to me himself."
    She softly laughs, "That's probably because he doesn't want you to think he cares about what you think."
    "He doesn't," I say. "I know Owen. He usually doesn't act this way," she says, "Haven't you two met before?"

I shake my head, "No.. I don't think so. I don't remember much. A few bits and pieces of something, but other than that.."
    "What do you mean," she looks up at me, "What do you mean you don't remember much?"
    "I told you, I woke up by a forest, got lost, and chased him. Other than that, I don't remember things before then," I tell her,
    "The only thing I feel similar to memories are feelings, I guess.. I felt drawn to chasing him."
    She stays silent for a bit, then speaks. "Look, I don't really know much about yours and his relationship, but don't you think its time to try and find out? Obviously he knows something. Or he thinks he does, anyway. If he's stalking someone, its for a good reason-"
    "I wouldn't call it stalking," Owen interrupts. Mariah and I turn to face him. He sighs, "Look, you remind me of someone I used to know. When I was a lot younger and long before I came here. That's all."
    "Who do I remind you of," I ask, "If you don't mind me asking?"

He looks at me, "Why don't you just mind your own business from now on, ok? I'm tired of you making a big deal out of
    every stupid little thing that happens to pop up. I'll do what I want. This is my home, not yours. It never will be. You're an
    outsider, you don't belong here, and I promise you that you mean nothing to any of us. You might have made a few
    friends here but they won't give you the time of day when you have to leave. All you do is worry about me. Why don't you-"
    I softly laugh. His eyes widen, "Why are you laughing?! This is serious!"
    "Look who's making a big deal now," I laugh.
    He pauses and just stares at me for a moment, then starts laughing as well.
    So, he actually has a sense of humor. Who knew!

Al_Cool

Champion
    Al_Cool
    Al_Cool Al_Cool
    It make me think how sometime I would like to answer quite raw words, but wonder if I could be wrong because while asking to myself, I am left with my own knowledge and my own ignorance! I really like your work :)

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Amazing, keep it up!
    It make me think how sometime I would like to answer quite raw words, but wonder if I could be wrong because while asking to myself, I am left with my own knowledge and my own ignorance! I really like your work :)
    Thanks! xD
    Also, I'm sorry if the chapters are too long for any of you. This is just how I write my stories.
    I'll usually try to find ways to make them smaller, this chapter was just a bit longer than the others. I usually try keeping them at at least 5 different paragraphs because I know that not everyone likes reading a ton of them just from one chapter. Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement as well! Always room for improvement, especially in my case. Thanks for the nice words and I'm happy that you all are liking it so far. :)

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Hey, guys! I have a little challenge for you.
    I want to see if any of you can figure out what inspired me to make this type of story. There are multiple answers, if you get one right then I'll explain them all. It isn't a specific minecraft server since I know that isn't allowed here, however it is minecraft/minecraft related. If any of you can figure it out then I'll give you a gold star! There are plenty of references in the story, and I will give hints depending on if anyone actually tries to guess, based off of their guess. Enjoy le challenge! :D

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 6.
    The Meeting Room.

Another few days later and I'm still helping out students. To be honest, I feel like a nanny watching over all of them.
    Most of them are a few years younger than I am or around my age. They started studying long before I have, though.
    They think its odd for a witch to not know anything about her culture or have any other knowledge on magics.
    When I tried to let everyone know at once that I wasn't a witch, they either thought I was joking or asked if they could "help me."
    I don't really know what they meant by that, so I asked Mariah. She said she thinks they wanted to take me to the healers in this tribe.
    They call these healers "The Ethereals," named after one of the things they study.

"They'll just study... well, you! They'll let you know your true age, try to find any bloodline somehow, let you know what you're
    made of, what it means, what you could do to better yourself, and they'll even try to see if they can unlock your mind. That just means
    they'll try reading your thoughts that you might've had before you woke up," she says.
    "Absolutely not," I reply, "I don't want anyone finding out anything that I might not have wanted them to."
    She shrugs, "That's the sacrifices you make to get better. We used to do this for other people as well. If we thought someone was a spy or
    would betray us at some point, we'd take them to the Ethereals without telling them what they do. I think our chieftian would be disappointed in me for letting you know this since they might have wanted to send you to them in the future, but still."
    "Chieftian," I ask. She giggles, "You're dumber than you look! You really know nothing about us, huh?"
    "Its not my fault that no one is willing to teach me," I reply.

She softly nods. I was told that I could stay here, yes. But I was also told that I could not learn any of their studies.
    I suppose since this is a tribe of Researchers after all, there might as well be a chieftian. A leader.
    But isn't that what the Indians used to have? Is that what I'm going to have to think of these people now?
    Indians that don't look like Indians? No matter. After a while of thinking I agree with Mariah that I will see the Ethereal healers later on. The healers are praised here for their knowledge. I would rather see for myself what they can do, but I don't say that infront of anyone else here. I wouldn't want to spoil the fun for them.

As I go back into the small room that I was given, I see that there is a note on my blanket.
    "Find the largest building we have here in these trees and go to its largest window at midnight. Wait for me there."
    "Tch." I throw crumble up the note and stuff it inside of my pillow. I do not have the time nor will to stay up so late and stalk people

or break into a building here. That's one of the last things I need! My butt would be shipped out of this place so fast, and to be honest I like some of the people here. No thank you-.. I pause, I hear something. I quiet my breath and listen.
    As I turn around I see Owen. "What are you do-" Before I can speak he puts a cloth over my face.
    The only thing I can think of for the few seconds of consciousness is "This again?"

When I wake up I see Owen looking straight infront of him hiding behind wood. I sit up and look around.
    We're beside a large window on a large dome shaped wooden building. It has no glass and its high off the floor as well. I look at him.
    He knows I'm awake, he just doesn't give me any of his attention. I poke his arm, he doesn't say anything.
    I take a deep breath to yell out his name and he puts his hand over my mouth.
    "You're purposely trying to annoy me at this point," he says in a whisper.
    I grin, "Isn't that what friends are for?" He rolls his eyes in annoyance. "Just shut up and listen," he says.
    I sit up and stop toying with that brick filled brain of his and look through the window. A soft light coming from a light hanging
    from the ceiling of the room by a soft brown and thick wire. There is a table in the center of the room with multiple people.
    They seem decently older than the both of us as well.

"We can't let them keep trying to kill us by using this forest," one says. Another replies saying, "Any ideas?"
    "Well we could try sending someone to repay them, after all they've done to us!"
    "No, we mustn't sacrifice one of our own to those... Demons." "He's right, they would just torture him and use him to give them strength. We cannot sacrifice anymore of our kind's blood being given to them! Who knows what ideas are going on in their heads!"
    "You're all being idiots. If we let them keep attacking our home then there will be nothing left. They will take all of our people and then they will have as much blood as they want." "We can't do that. We cannot send a person. They will take his blood, then feed him. Let him regain his blood, then repeat. They do not care about anyone who is not a part of their own tribe."
    "ENOUGH," a loud and strong voice booms. Their attention goes to an old, strong man on the wall opposite from the entrance.
    "You are all acting like fools," he huffs, "We have a suitable being who has already proven to be a willing tribute.
    Therefore this discussion is no longer of importance."

Owen and I stay there for the rest of the evening. Now I know why this was important.
    They're going to try sacrificing one of their own?

Wobiee

Mythical
    Wobiee
    Wobiee Wobiee
    Great stories! And I personally think they are not long at all, they are absolutely amazing! Very interesting and it never loses my interest. Keep them coming, I read 'em every day!

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Story suggestion:

"How Vy met a silly cpt, a duge and a jellyfish"
    I will consider it! xD
    There is one thing that some people have done where I used to make my stories where the readers, or even people who didn't read the story, could make their own characters to be/could be in the story.

Name:

Description:
    Any Additional Info:

Unique Things About Person:
    Suggestions? (Optional.) :

Etc.

So if any1 would be interested in something like that but maybe a bit better planned out, let me know by either commenting or liking this post so I know your opinions. ;) This is just the beginning of the story, I have many exciting ideas with or without additional characters, it might just be more fun for the people here depending on their opinions. :)

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 7.
    Sacrifices.

Owen's grip tightens on my arm. I notice the look on his face as he watches them.
    He's livid, and I think I understand why. From what I know, the people here do love their leaders.
    It seems a bit odd that they'd put all of their trust in them, though. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't trust them with everything I had.
    I'd still be a bit cautious every now and then, but I guess if you grew up here from birth and were raised that way...
    Never mind.

"Owen," I softly whisper, "are you ok?" I quickly realized that I just felt sympathy for this moron.
    What's even worse is he doesn't seem to have noticed. He's still watching them with this death glare of his.
    He turns and looks at me after a few seconds, "Huh?" I turn my head as if it were nothing.
    "Ok then.. Look, we need to find out who they're sending," he tells me.
    "How do we do that," I ask, "Shouldn't we just wait on them to say it themselves?"
    He shakes his head, "No, they've moved on from that. Once our chief says something, we have to obey it. So do they.
    But what we need to do is we need to find someone who might be able to ask for us."
    I tap his shoulder as he attempts to direct his attention back to them, "Why can't I do it?"
    He chuckles, "You're in no position to confront any of them with your stupid questions. You're a peasant to them.
    As I said before, there are our kind, our enemies, and then the outsiders. You're an outsider. You're nothing to anyone here."
    This grown boy is acting like a stubborn little child and I am about sick and tired of it.

I jerk my hand out of his wrist and sit on the opposite side of the small ledge we've been camping at by the window.
    I can't necessarily get down myself, and if I did then it'd make noise. I don't care if he gets caught, but I'd rather remain on
    good terms with these people, for a while at least. "I'm sorry," he says, "its just the first time I've had an actual outsider here that made me uneasy and-" "Just shut up and listen," I tell him, quoting what he had said to me from before.
    "What is your issue," He asks. I shrug.

We hear a knock echo in the room from the door as a friendly reminder to us that we're being distracted.
    Mariah walks into the room and looks at them, "You asked me to come?" My eyes widen, "Are they going to send her?"
    He thinks, "N-No.. They wouldn't. She's too young to do anything like that, she.."
    The chieftian stands up and looks at her, "Yes, do you remember when you were spoken to the other evening?" She nods.
    "Well," he continues, "first we want to let you know we do appreciate what you're doing for us very much.
    Besides that, when will you be ready?" She watches in confusion, "Um.. Not for a while, I.."
    "Nonsense," he says, "You need not forget our arrangement, Mariah Willman." She shakes her head, "Of course not!"
    I clench my fists and jump from the window. Owen tried gripping onto the back of my shirt but his hand must've slipped,
    because he wasn't dragged down with me.

I storm into the room, "MARIAH," I shout, "What are you doing here?!" She jumps and looks at me, "Jesus Christ, you scared me.."
    The chieftian and the others watch me. I pause. I look at the chieftian, his eyes are filled with excitement.
    "It seems our offering has arrived," he says. The others begin to mutter to each other in confusion. "What," I ask.
    "This, my friends, is the girl who I was speaking of," he continues, "She is our honored guest!"
    I try with all effort to avoid looking to the window where Owen may be, because I know their eyes would follow mine.
    At the moment, I was unable to understand what he was talking about.
    "Sir," I say, "the people here call me an outsider. I am no honored guest of yours."
    He laughs, "No, dear girl. You are a very precious pawn for me to behold. You may be unaware if you are a witch or not, but.."
    He stands up, and without finishing his sentence, he looks at Mariah. "We can delay our plans," he says. She nods.
    "Mariah Willman, please ****** this young lady out of the room," he tells her, "and make sure she doesn't interrupt again, understood?"
    Mariah nods once more and we leave.

As we're walking, her head is down and her hands folded into each other.
    "I'm sorry if I interrupted anything special," I say, "its just I didn't know where you were when I went to ask you something and I.."
    She looks at me, "I saw you in the window with him. I know you were eavsedropping. But why?"
    "N-Nothing," I tell her, "its just that, when I went to ask Owen where you were, he said he had an idea. He said was going to see what all of the noise was there, so we went. I was dragged along, but still." "Like you were dragged here," she asks.
    "Mhm," I confirm. When I look over my shoulder, I see Owen walking behind us. You could barely tell he was there.
    Unlike us, he doesn't make a sound when he walks on the wood. He's a shadow to others.
    He nods and continues following. I look back at her, "Its chilly this evening, isn't it?"
    "Oh yes, I was going to bring a jacket but I was in a bit of a rush, as you can tell," she giggles.
    A few "SHH's" are heard, I'm guessing this is the normal around here. In the day time you're quiet, and in the night time you're silenced.
    If you attempt to speak, you will be rejected by those who act like they don't have the same behavior when no one is nearby.

"Well," she says as we get back to where I stay, "I suppose this is where I should say goodbye. Thanks for coming to check up on me."
    I nod, even though that isn't what I meant to imply from my story. I close the door and I watch as Owen drops into my room by
    the window he used last time when he had used his great knowledge to drag me onto a wooden ledge for what seemed like forever.
    "Who knew you were such a liar," he says. "Who knew you were such a stalker," I reply, "Other than everyone."
    He smiles, "The name suits me well, now doesn't it?"
    I shrug, "Maybe. But I'm not sure if you should consider that a good thing."
    His smile fades, "Wait wait, you seem to not be acknowledging the issue here.. Don't you remember what he had said?"
    "About me being an 'honored guest?' Yes, I know, and I'm not interested in his pathetic attempts of flattery, so don't act jealous."
    "I'm not," he says, "What he was saying was not meant for you. It was for the other people there. You're who he wants to send, idiot."
    I laugh, "Why would he want to send me? I'm not one of your kind, I'm just-.. an outsider.."
    "Exactly," he says, "You would be the perfect to send. You know nothing about us and as far as they know, you know nothing of their intentions on what to do with you. But, why did you go rushing into that room?"

"That girl is a friend of mine. Maybe not a friend, but we know each other," I say. "She's years younger than you," he replies.
    I pet his head, "Curiosity killed the cat, Owen. Maybe you should stop wondering about what its like to be nice and actually try it sometime." "Oh? Well, I-.. Wait," he says, "You've learned my name, but I don't know yours. I know you aren't older than I am just by the way you act. But your name.." "I don't know," I tell him, "Mariah, the girl who entered the room, she said I could go see one of the Ethereals and they could find out who I was for me, but.." "NO," he says sharply, "You don't want to do that."
    "Well why not," I ask him. "Yeesh," he says, "Cut the attitude, no-name. Look, if you let them figure out everything about you, then they'll know how to keep you in line. People who go there, the Ethereals find out what makes them who they are. I haven't been
    to one myself, but I can guarantee that they can use it against you if ever needed. Our captives, when captured they are seen by a group of Ethereals. They find out what they are made of. They then will use something opposite to that to torture them into telling them whatever they want to know. You can't do that, especially now that we know what they want from you."
    "Well then what am I supposed to do," I ask, "its not like I have any other way of finding out who I am and I need to know."
    "I'll do it myself," he says. I stare at him, "You know how? Are you an Ethereal too?"
    "No, but I will help you find out. I know I haven't been the nicest to you lately, but you deserved at least half of it.
    Besides that, I need to test my knowledge out on someone. But yes, I will help you." he assures me, "Now rest up, I'll be here early in the morning to get you ready." "Ready for what," I ask. He grins, "We aren't going to let them use you. Not yet, at least."

That evening after he's gone, I find comfort in what he told me.
    Perhaps even though we are opposites, we just might be able to get along.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 8.
    A way out.

Any time I have seen Owen it has disgusted me. But now I'm, dare I say, excited? I woke up early this morning bright and early. It almost seems desperate of me to care this much, but I feel obligated to have a decent looking home while he helps me. Its the least I could do.
    I never expected that I would look forward to seeing him. That still doesn't answer my question, though. I can't help but wonder what his plans are.

Well it doesn't take me long to find out!
    Right as I am about to put away a shirt that I don't remember ever wearing, he flies through the window and pops up like a rabbit onto his feet. "Howdy, princess," he says with a joyful grin. "Princess," I ask. He nods, "I'm going to give you a whole armada of nicknames, just you wait!" I look him up and down, "You seem happy. Did the early bird wake you up?" He chuckles, "I wish. No, but I haven't been able to do something exciting in a long time." "How is this exciting," I ask, "We're just going to ask them not to send me there, aren't we?" He begins laughing his head off so much that I start to worry that it might pop off of his shoulders. "No, moron," he says, "We're getting packed and leaving this place. We can figure this stuff out all on our own."

Is this boy actually this stupid?
    Leave camp? "Don't you live here," I ask,
    "Have been for most of your life?" He shrugs, "Its not like I won't be coming back. But we can handle this on our own or let it all blow over. You said you would be my testing dummy. We need a place for me to be able to do that. I was thinking of a cave but there is a suitable home that belonged to my aunt before she died. We could use that. It'd take a few days to get there, though, and I don't think you have that type of resistance to stay up for so long." "And you think you do," I ask. "No, I just know that I'm stronger than you are in more ways than one," he teases.

We get packed. During that evening we had snuck out of the tribe with our backpacks, supplies, and any books or jars that he would need. We have enough food for a short while. I never did say goodbye to Mariah.. Infact I used her to help me get some of these items without her knowing why. I do feel guilty but I can't say that I regret it. She has her personal business, and I have mine. Owen was so talkative earlier and now he's dead focused on getting us far from the camp. We are doing thing this for a good cause, though. If we find a way to handle the Blood Magic Users on our own then we will have it made. It still does concern me though. He hasn't told me what makes him so sure of his plan, but whatever it is, I'm sure it'll work.

We approach a tree far off from the tribe's camp. It has a deerstand on it. "Now before you go nuts about sleeping in a deerstand with lil ol' me, I will have you know that-," "ITS PERFECT," I interrupt. He turns his head n glares at me, "Really?" I nod, "Yes, I doubt they would find us here. Plus it isn't that small, and it'd be like a sleepover." "Weirdo.. Anyway, shut up and unlock the door. I'm not busting my butt on that ladder so you gotta let me pick you up," he says. "W-What?!" "Yeah," he continues, "just let me pick you up and open it. Don't you trust me, princess?" I shove him onto the ladder, "Do it yourself, pervert." He laughs, "You're both stupid and hilarious. I already did. Go start unpacking while I check out the area." With that, he throws his backpack and other things onto me and heads for the woods.

Now I just want to strangle him.
    I do think I saw a pond
    on the way here, though.. Interesting..

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 9.
    Our Journey.

He returns to the deerstand later that evening. Its high off the ground and people could barely see it at night.
    That morning I wake up and see him looking through the bags. "Hey, pippy, have you seen my clothes," he asks me.
    I nod, "Yeah, you asked me to unpack. I thought they needed to be cleaned from the stench so I threw them in the pond from earlier."
    He just looks at me and then darts outside. I lay back and relax. I didn't necessarily do this to annoy him per say...
    I just knew that it'd take him around an hour to get it out and another hour to get to that pond and back, so now I'm able to catch up on any sleep that I missed during his snores. He's so loud and annoying when he sleeps. More so than when he's awake.
    Shocking, I know.

Anyway, I begin to feel some kind of bright light in my face while regathering my sleep. I open my eyes and see trees.
    I look at him, he's carrying me to the pond I bet. I pretend to still be asleep.
    Well, I thought he was taking me there, but I didn't hear the water or anything. I look up at him, "What are you doing?" He doesn't say anything. I see the backpacks on his back and everything.
    Is he serious?

I realized what he was doing almost instantly. He's going to carry me and everything, but where?
    "Where are we going," I ask. He keeps walking, "We need to get to my aunt's house, don't we?" Its like he completely forgot what happened earlier this morning. I stand up and help him carry some things. We continue walking. I didn't expect it to take so long to get there. That night we slept under a group of trees. I for one was horrified of sleeping on the ground because of various reasons. Spiders especially. He just laughed and told me to climb up into the tree since I was so stubborn. I tried, it failed miserably. So instead of climbing the tree, I piled up all of our items that wouldn't be squished and then he stood on them with me on his shoulders. He didn't hesitate to point out that I have very loud screams either. Anyway, I scooted onto a branch and he passed me the blanket and pillow, while he just used stuff from our supplies. His jacket for a blanket, his backpack for a pillow, etc.

The next day while walking, we began to wonder if we had gone the right way.
    He nodded, saying that we're following the sun. Where it sets, we follow. He said he recognizes the area of where the house is very well in addition to that, so I suppose all we can do is hope. If we don't end up getting there soon, though, we may have to turn back.
    We have packed plenty of food for this entire trip and a trip on the way back. The only issue with that is that we have to constantly keep making sure bears and other various creatures don't get into it. We haven't had any run ins with bears, however.
    In fact, I haven't seen any bears during this entire trip. That's something, since Owen says he'd usually run into one.
    I'm not sure if he's just showing off at that point, but he's still alive and I wasn't there so I'll have to take his word for it.

Owen and I continue walking, and finally Owen says something that makes my entire day.
    "I think we're close to the house," he says and looks at me, "I think I recognize this area." I look around.
    It does look a bit different, I'll admit Oddly enough as well, it feels different here. The air is softer, there are flowers every once in a while and their scent fills the air near them, but its a beautiful scent. They're a beautiful soft blue and white color.
    There are a few different trees as well. White trees, not like the birch ones that I'd see every now and then.
    Gorgeous, large, white trees. But to top that, we began to see something in the distance as we continued walking.
    We were both so excited... until we saw that the small wooden cabin had collapsed on itself quite a bit.

He runs to it and throws our supplies onto the ground, "Help me move some of this stuff off!"
    I rush to him and help him move anything that we can. The roof's a bit messed up and the wall by the door is damaged.
    It isn't a large cabin by all means, but its enough. Once we move some of the damage and take a look inside, things look a bit better.
    "What on earth are you two doing," a voice says. We turn and look at the female who's watching us.
    She has a soft white hair hanging below her shoulders. She's youthful, but older than I am for sure.
    He throws the wood bits that he's holding aside and stands infront of me, "This is my aunt's home. Who are you?"
    She doesn't answer. He looks her up and down, "You're a witch a well, aren't you?" She nods, "And so is your friend."
    "I'm not a witch," I reply. She looks at me and laughs, "Maybe not by choice, but you are one. Either that or you're just stupid."

Another friendly face to get to know. Isn't this just so exciting?
    Really though, why does everyone get so offensive when I deny them on what I am?
    I'm just a person. I'm not a witch, I don't even understand magics. I don't even know the signs of being a witch.
    I honestly believe that by now the world is just pushing me more and more by giving people the illusion of what I am,
    in hopes of influencing me to change my life to go that specific direction.

"And who might you be," he asks her. She sighs, "I'm Vanessa. I'm also smart enough to acknowledge my own culture..
    Anywho, why are here? Did someone send you here? I've seen this house a thousand times and no one has been in it since I've lived here. I was almost going to try staying in there, but it didn't have what I needed. Too many tool stations that weren't for my taste."
    He nods, "Yes, my aunt was very intelligent as a Researcher. Her husband helped her make technology to advance her studies farther than most others have. That's why I've come here. She passed away shortly after her husband."
    The woman, Vanessa, watches us for a bit. Finally she says, "Fine. I'll help you if you want. But you better not do anything stupid, and Lord knows that if you infect this land I will kill you both in your sleep."

He chuckles, "I'd never do such a thing. Besides, I don't have that type of supplies.. yet.." "Yet," she asks. He smirks, "Don't worry," he says, "I wouldn't dare use it on you."
    She laughs, "I'm not worried about tha-" "You're already infected yourself," he says. Her eyes widen, "Why you little-! Ugh!" "What are you even talking about," I ask. Owen turns his head and looks at me. "Oh. Er, nothing. I'll tell you about it later. How about you go start unpacking while I continue moving the damage? Miss perfect over here can help me with that." Vanessa laughs a bit more, "Like I'd help someone as low-life and desperate as you." He shrugs, "Fine by me. But who knows, maybe I might decide to tinker with this forest a bit after all.. It might be smart for you to supervise, for a bit at least."
    She folds her arms and thinks. "Well when you put it that way," she says, "I guess I'll help, just a bit. And only for a bit. No more, no less. I will have to continue gathering food later this evening."

And with that, we've made a new acquaintance.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 10.
    The Reading.

The next day I walk downstairs and find Owen passed out on the couch.
    I don't exactly remember what all happened last night other than him working on the house for a bit while Vanessa was "supervising" by yelling at him constantly on where to put the debris, how she could do his job ten times better than he could, and how he needs a belt. Don't ask. Besides that, she did bring over some freshly picked blueberries. She claimed to have her own personal small garden, and that she'd
    work on it whenever she could. If there were no extra work to be done, she'd decorate. She seems like a very intelligent and unique character once you get past her annoyance and ear-piercing, high-pitched voice. She admitted that even though her garden was like none other, fit for angels to walk through that have come to visit from Heaven, (A direct quote from herself, might I add), that she would tend to have much more than she would need from time to time. She agreed that if we helped her, that she would give us any left overs that she had. It'd be better for her to do that than for them to go to waste, after all. Owen agreed. She didn't have anything in mind at the moment, but had said that she would think of something.

Later that evening Owen also admitted to me how he never really liked making deals with people. In fact, he said that one time he and a family member of his, long time ago, were slowly but surely running out of food. A Blood Magic User saw them and introduced himself. Owen didn't know what he was at the time, but they wanted to offer them a deal to give them food, but in return, Owen and the other person would have had to go with him to where he stayed. Owen declined in hopes of finding something edible, and he indeed did. He later saw the young man again, ordering other men around as they were dragging a dead bear through the woods.
    He recognized that behavior. Blood Magic Users apparently will kill a bear on Thanksgiving and feast from it. He said there wasn't an actual explanation to why they would do this. But we both think that they just had someone bring home a bear one day and decided to continue doing it without a care in the world. Or perhaps it showed strength? Who knows.

(Perhaps I should stop stalling for time and more ideas and continue writing my story before I have another nine paragraphs to post in one chapter as well... Just a thought.)

We had a small, simple, yet filling supper. I remember he was exhausted from the trip, I wasn't as tired since I slept half of the entire trip. He claimed that he did as well, yet I could've sworn that the previous night I had seen him awake past midnight. I had woken up from an owl perched right above the branch I was sleeping on. And since he was too brain-dead and inconsiderate to give the owl a stern talk about using our indoor voices (even though we were outside in the woods), he instead continued to fiddle with a piece of wood, sharpening the tip of it with his pocket-knife. I suppose he was unaware of the fact that my slumber had been interrupted by his obnoxious alliance, Mr. Owl, but it wouldn't have mattered much, now would it?

"What's going on in that devious head of yours," Owen asks. I look up at him from where I was standing in the hallway. He had been sleeping when I had first approached the living-room, "I was just thinking is all," I tell him. "Oh," he says, "Well, ok then.. Anyways, I think if you can help me get the house and all setup, we just might be able to work on my aunt's equipment. I might be able to figure this out on my own as far as your Reading goes, but still-" "My what now?" He sighs and shakes his head in disappointment. "A Reading is what its called when an Ethereal or someone else does their studies on you. They find out what makes you you by scanning, studying, and paying close attention to your more obvious personality traits. You can find out all sorts of stuff from your own Reading." "I see," I say, "What all do we need to do?"

He points out that we will soon need to find an efficient way of gaining food, a reliable water source until we can have purified water from the sinks, work on his aunt's machines, figure out what that horrible sound is coming from the attic, and fix the rest of the damage on the house. I had previously cleaned the floor and furniture pieces, and even managed to wash off the rug. By a miracle, Vanessa agreed to help with the wall and roof damage. She claims to be a very experienced witch. Lets see if she can put her magic where her mouth is and use it as well as she says she can. She had also stated how she had been holding off on fixing the cabin for a few years, but she just never wanted to go through the trouble. She would've rather spent her time in her beloved garden.

The more time we spent talking, the hungrier we became. The hungrier we became, the more we realized the day was going by fast. It was already an hour past noon! So we decided to stop wasting time and get to work. Owen worked on the house until Vanessa arrived. As they were bickering, I was sorting out any of Owen's passed relatives' items that we wouldn't need nor want to keep. We had a very decent pile. There was an old sewing machine that I considered keeping, but I doubt I would use it unless it were to mend clothing, and I for one would rather do that by hand. Instead of keeping it, I put it aside and kept the sewing kit. Any medical supplies we kept, any old rags, etc.

Luckily the cabin had two floors. The first floor had the living-room, kitchen, and the bathroom. The second floor had two rooms. One was meant to be an office from the looks of, but it was instead used as her working station. So many confusing mechanics and pieces of technology... Owen seemed very pleased when he had first saw it. The other is a bedroom which I am hoping we can make into two very small rooms in the future.

We continue working for hours and hours, all day and far into the night. I had been hoping that we could've done the Reading this evening, but it was not meant to be. I wasn't annoyed at all, of course, seeing how he had been working all day outside while I, on the other hand, had cold air galore. In fact, he came inside with sunburns covering him. It was a very laughable moment, however I kept my manners and thanked him instead.

Late that evening I feel something pinching my arm. I jerk up and see Owen looking at me while holding a candle. "Hey," he whispers. "Why did you wake me up," I hiss back at him. "Oh, I'm sorry," he says, "I thought you wanted your Reading," and winks. A big, bright smile covers my face and he sits on the floor beside my bed while I sit on the of it. His eyes begin to softly glow as he takes my hand and holds it flat in the air while looking at my palm. Slowly, four images appear one at a time above my hand. They have Arabic Numerals appear under each one. He mutters the words to himself softly as they do, however I don't understand a he's saying. A dark purple mist begins to come out of my hand when the fourth image appears. Once he notices it, his eyes widen and immediately stop glowing. After that, the mist goes back into my hand. He starts to grin. He stands up and directs his attention towards me once more and says,
    "You, my friend, are very unique indeed."