• IP Copied!
  • "The Dead Land." - A Story. Idk who's it is. So.

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    JosieViolent20 JosieViolent20
    Chapter 11.
    Rogue.

"I will have you know that I in fact can too do magic. I just need the proper setting for certain types." Vanessa hasn't been able to use her magic lately. She says it needs to be "dry but slightly moist" outside for her to repair the house since its so old. Owen was about to deny her until the blinds for one of the windows fell and broke a few glasses on the kitchen counter. Vanessa and I jinxed each other as we said that it was all his fault, while he muttered a few not-so-nice words to himself. It was worth it. But as far as Vanessa's magic goes, I'm unsure what we need to do. She thinks it will be raining some time soon, so maybe sometime this evening.

This is all ridiculous in my personal opinion.
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort. But... why would she just wait multiple years without fixing anything? Its stupid. I'm sure there have been more than perfect days for her to at least do something with her magic and she decided not to. Ridiculous.

She was right about the rain, though.
    The three of us ended up play
    ing card games while waiting. (I would say "the four of us," but my dignity died whenever I began to get along with Owen, and from what I know, there is no way to revive the undead.) We played a game called "railroad rummy." Similar to "gin rummy," but the same. Somehow I had already known how to play the game and knew everything about it. Odd, isn't it? Owen says it might be a good thing, and I agree. Vanessa, however, thinks that I cheated the entire game. But just between you and me, I think I saw her sneak a wild card under her shirt... Just saying!

"The rain has been gone for a while," Owen says after Vanessa wins the round. "We should probably get to work, right, Vanessa?" I don't know of he's just tired of getting his butt kicked at a card game or if he actually wants to be productive. Either way, we go outside and check the weather. It isn't too wet and it isn't too dry according to Vanessa. She says that now is a good time for repairs.

I would've thought she'd pull out some type of wand, but instead she sets up items around the house, nine to be exact. She also draws some sort of weird symbol with a special chalk she made from the wooden remains of the house. She makes another, and another, until they are all in one large circle around the house. "Ritual markings," she says. I take a step back and she laughs. "Not for people, dummy," she giggles. Owen's just watching with an unimpressed look on his face. I can't blame him much either for waiting to get the goods before getting all excited. I might be the same way too... if I weren't so excited to get the house fixed!

She then puts a gold marking in the center of the house on the floor and taps it. The wood pieces slowly begin multiplying and multiplying, changing sizes but not their original shape. Then they begin fixing the house almost as if that spot is brand new! And after that, a shimmer goes over entire house and its as good as new, literally. Everything is renewed after that. Vanessa walks out of the house and looks around. She seems happy, and Owen is more so than her.

"Very impressive," says a girl's voice.
    A few chuckles along with it. We turn around and see three people, two boys and one female. One of the boys say, "Another witch to deal with.. How exhausting." The other takes a closer look at Vanessa and says, "This is the one I was talking about. The low-life herbivore who keeps screwing up my camp sites." Vanessa laughs, "Better than being a shady rogue like yourself! Plus, I'd rather be a herbivore than a cannibal." He growls under his breath. The girl's eyes turn red, "You are a peasant who does magic tricks with frogs and owls. You are pathetic human being." "And you," Owen says, "are a lonely orphan with no friends and a desperate life, so you go out and find two guys who you can call your "friends" when you already know you are nothing them. I bet a sweet little soft heart like you shook in your own tracks when you saw how they take a peaceful meal and turn it into something so perverted like eating human flesh and the rest." She lunges at him, but is stopped by one of the men. She has a small old looking knife on her side pocket. I think its made of stone.

I nudge Owen's side and look at her knife.
    His eyes follow. He smirks, "Let her." The girl's eyes widen. The man lets her go and backs up. I'm unsure what Owen is doing, but maybe he's challenging the Rogue? What even is a rogue? Just an orphan? That doesn't make sense. Either way, she goes at him and I move out of the way. He grabs her arm and jerks on it so she falls on her butt. She gets up, but only because he lets her. She's a sloppy fighter. She goes to punch him but he grabs her hand and jams his fist into her stomach, and yet again throws her onto the ground. Her knife falls out of her pocket. She looks at it and picks it up, kicks behind his knee and gets up. He barely even moves. She runs at him with the knife, and out of all of her sloppy attempts to prove herself to her "friends," this is the saddest and the most entertaining one yet. He manages to take her knife, hold her back to his chest, and hold the knife to her neck.

He sighs, "Listen, sweetheart, this is the reason why you only have popsicle sticks as friends. You knew they would hold you back, but you wanted to seem like a threat. Only a complete fool would've been intimidated by that act of yours. You looked like a complete moron even before I challenged you, and you thought it made you look strong. But you decided to accept my challenge, after knowing you could've declined, because you wanted to be something that you aren't. A monster. A cannibal. A Rogue. You're a child. Now go home. Or, if you want, I can give you the mark of a "warrior" on your throat and we can call it a truce?"

She's shaking and her eyes are filled with tears. She shakes her head, "N- No! Please don't!" He shrugs and lets her go, then throws the knife on the ground in-front of the two men. They back away from it and she runs towards them. They back away from her as well. Owen watches her. "Didn't I just tell you to go back home, little girl," he asks. She quickly nods and runs. He wasn't saying it to be rude , she seemed younger than I was, around twelve years old. Much younger than Owen.

The two men run after her, and Owen smiles. "She'll have a good life in-front of her if she uses what life she has now in a good way."
    I nod and then look at him, "Maybe so, but.. What is a Rogue?"

Last edited:

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 12.
    Who Am I?

We spent the rest of the day talking.
    I have never heard of a "Rogue" before as a specific name for someone like those people. Owen said, "They are people who either left their tribe, got kicked out, or never had one. But they are also cannibals. If you simply aren't part of a tribe, you are not a Rogue. You're just alone. But Rogues despise the meaning of tribes and they don't care about murdering people. They only want what they want, and they will do almost anything to get it. Even sell another Rogue to a tribe for execution in return for money or something else." That's when Vanessa told me about her experiences with Rogues. They do seem pretty dan
    gerous. Not the ones that confronted Owen, though. Owen said those three were just idiots trying to be a Rogue because its "cool." But that doesn't mean that all of them are that idiotic. It varies.

"Were you ever a Rogue, Owen," I ask.

"No," he says, "I was an outsider like you. And then I found my home. Rogues believe that their homes are not with others, and that they will only go home once dead, meaning their graves." "They must be lonely then," I say. He agrees. He looks at me, "You still haven't figured out where you're from, have you?" "No, I haven't," I tell him, "See, Mariah told me that my reading would help me know, but.." "I'm still working on that," he says, "Don't worry. Its just that today has been real busy so far and I haven't had much time to do what I need to do to figure it all out.. You have a unique aspect to you out of your four aspects.. Something hiding in the very back.. As if it were a fifth, which is completely impossible."

Aspects are what the Researchers find once they give you your Reading. Each person has four unique aspects. Items can have from one aspect to millions of them. There is no limit. You might think that having more aspects makes you more important, but actually, its quite the opposite. Unless a Researcher is in need of a lot of aspects, the less amount of aspects you have, the better you are. This only goes for objects. Some people used to think that it went for both living and non-living things, which began the idea of objects being more valuable than mankind itself. They praised gold and jewels, etc. Eventually it was all proven wrong. Humans are indeed the most valuable things to hold aspects, because ours are pure even before birth. Pure aspects are not able to be tinkered with. They cannot be mixed with other aspects, unlike items' aspects. No wonder Researchers are so disliked by the ones who care for the material world and technology, more than the possible life hidden deep within everything.

Either way, I am still curious to find out who I am.
    When we get to the office room, I see he's making a little setup on a tray. He pricks my finger and puts the drop of blood into a very small vial, puts it into a machine, turns it on and bam! Smoke begins to fill the room. I just watch him do his thing. I'm not a scientist.

He told me that it will take a while to finish (As I put on my duck themed bandaid) and that I should go talk to Vanessa about Witchery. I figured I might as well, seeing as I don't have a life of my own. Vanessa became ecstatic when I asked, seeing as how she would be able to show off her talents. She took me out on a walk and we ended up in-front of this large, gorgeous house on a mountainside. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was inspired by a coocoo clock! But yet again I acknowledged what little manners I possess and went along with it. I am only a guest, after all. Maybe one day I will have a place to call my own.

She shows me around. Once she shows me her secret garden area, I know that all hope is lost for me unless she teaches me gardening. It is truly fit for angels. Hidden behind vines hanging from earth which is made as a bridge high above the crops, with waterfalls and a stream, bird houses, branches coming out of the mountainside, its all a glorious sight. I can't take my eyes off of this magnificent creation of the world that she hasn't abused, but merely taken advantage of what "flaws" it might have, and making them even better and more glorious. It is truly stunning.

Finally after an entire tour, she shows me her Witchery setup in her home. I am in awe as I see beautiful flowers and trinkets and leaves and potions and some sort of... sacrificial table?? But best of all, a toad jumps onto her shoulder. I hear owls hooting and even a "meow" or TEN!

"This is truly amazing, I don't have words," I tell her. She smiles, "I know.. Which is why I so eagerly wanted to show you when I saw you. I can finally teach someone!" I look at her and take a step back, "I'm not sure if that is a good idea.. Really, I'm honored, but-" "BugBug!" She calls out the name a few times and then hears a soft rustle of feathers. She follows it and picks up a beautiful brown baby owl and holds it on her arm. "This is my newest Familiar. The more experienced you become with witchery, the more you may gain. You can only gain a Familiar after you know enough, however... But you are a witch. I can tell by your aura. Others can tell by your unique features. However, I am smarter than the rest. I know you have had experience. You just don't remember. So you might already have a Familiar. If so, I will help you find it and bring it to you. But Only if you let me teach you. Or we could let ot stay alone for the rest lf its life..." "No! Lets figure out if I do," I say, "But if not, then I would like to wait." She nods in agreement.

She sets up the ritual circles and I stand on the golden dust in the center. She then places unique items around the dust and I touch the gold dust. The ritual markings glow and a small, sleeping kitten appears in-front of me. I stare at it. The word "Kismet" comes out of my mouth. She looks up at me, "Hm?" I repeat, "Kismet.."

I pick up the kitten and pet its soft black fur and green eyes. "My Kismet," I say as I pet it. She smiles, "You remember your Familiar's name.. You indeed are a witch. Now we just need you to remember your own."

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 13.
    Run.

"What the heck is that," Owen growls as he stares as Kismet from a distance. "My cat," I tell him. He looks back at me, "Cat? Why did-.. I told you to go talk to her-.. You brought-.. What demon crawled on your shoulder and told you to bring a rodent feline home?" "Zip it," I hiss, "What's the issue with having two? Jealous?" "No, dingbat. But that cat is not staying inside. It will do its business everywhere and-" Before he can finish, Kismet is rubbing up on his leg like the perfect angel that he is. Owen growls, "Fine. But you better take care of that.. thing.."

I take Kismet up to my room.
    Owen and I still need to make this large room into two separate rooms. When we first got here, he must've been too tired to argue over who got the room. I would've fought him over it too, so maybe that explains why he just went with the couch. I just hope people don't mistake us as a married couple who argues a lot, thus making him sleep on said couch of punishment. He is kind of right about Kismet, though. I don't exactly know how to successfully take care of a cat without blowing some stuff up. Including the cat.

No cats were harmed in the making of this story...I think.

Later on, Vanessa and I are chatting on the livingroom couch about how Owen utterly refuses to replace this piece of junk.
    It would be a very beautiful piece of furniture if it weren't covered in stains so old and disgusting that I can't even imagine where they came from, the old age of it, and worse of all... the smell. I would rather sit on Kismet's future cat litter box than deal with this stench.
    "You're being ridiculous," Vanessa says, "You can't possibly blame the previous owners of this house for Owen's doing! He sleeps here each night, does he not? He's obviously the reason that its so hideous. I've heard that it isn't as easy as it is to smell other people's odor than it is to smell your own. You should be proud that you don't have to sleep here, otherwise who knows, the same could be said about you. No one likes sitting on flower-scented couches all day. Allergies and all!" We laugh.
    Vanessa is a kind, young, and even inspiring young lady. I'd like to say that she and I were much closer after today, but we aren't attached to the hip or anything. Owen says we can't be separated. I see where he's coming from, but is that really a bad thing?
    Besides, its not like its my fault that Owen has no friends besides mwa~. I am a very special person.
    I seem to be getting influenced by Vanessa, now that I think of it. Maybe I should reconsider...
    Psh. Nonsense.

After our friendly conversation, Vanessa tells me she's going to go and get some more of those delicious berries that she finds.
    She claims to know all of the spots that they grow at in the forest. I'm intrigued! I offer my assistance! She accepts!
    Babies! Forget that last part. I was thinking about Kismet having kittens.
    She drags me outside of the house and we venture into the wilderness. Owen yells something once he realizes we've left, but I can't really understand it while we're talking. I yell back, "What?" There isn't a reply.
    We continue walking down the long trail. As we're walking, Vanessa is talking about who knows what while I am preoccupied looking around and enjoying the scenery. We left Kismet at the house because he was napping. I'm not exactly sure if Kismet is his actual name, but it was the first thing that came out of my mouth when I saw him so that is his name, memory or not!

I slowly begin to trail behind, staring far into the distance. I don't know why, but I feel like I should go there...
    I begin walking that direction while she's still talking to herself. Her voice becomes more distant and distant until I can't hear it anymore. I still don't know how she hasn't noticed I'm gone yet, but maybe its because I'm rather quiet sometimes. (Believe it or not.)
    I begin to notice that the scenery becomes more exhausted. The trees seem like they're slowly dying.
    Yes, I know that everything.. is slowly dying.. when we really think about it.. ... ANYWAY!

They look like they're so young but maybe infected? Maybe they aren't getting enough of what they need?
    I keep walking, I can't seem to remember how long it has been since I left Vanessa alone. I look up at the sky and see that its a bit past noon. I can keep walking, for a while at least.

I end up walking in a bit of soft dirt. Maybe its mud? It doesn't look that way. It looks like normal, dry, dirt.
    But you sink a bit when you walk. Its strange. I think about turning around, but I decide a bit further couldn't hurt.
    I suppose I'd be considered a bit adventurous. In the distance I see a field of grass, but different looking grass. I go to it.
    I'd almost say this looks familiar, but I'm unsure how. I look down at the ground and see bits and pieces of tiny particles that I can barely see. A soft and dry shade of purple. I touch the dirt and look at my finger. Some of the particles stuck to my fingertip.
    I dust them off and continue walking. The grass lightens as I keep walking away from the particles. I examine where the wilted looking grass touches the healthy looking grass. The healthy grass seems to be healing the wilted grass? No, that can't possibly be it. That doesn't make any sense, does it? Who knows, maybe I'm seeing things. Either way, I begin to feel a bit tired and oddly drained all of a sudden.
    I think its time to head back home. The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should've told Vanessa that I was going to check this stuff out.

I continue walking. I think I know my way back. Yes, as long as I continue walking this direction I should be fine.
    Or was it west? No no, it was this way. I think? My head becomes more and more foggy by the second. I no longer feel safe.
    It takes me a while to get out of that area where things seemed to have been dying, but I eventually do. I begin to stumble and trip over myself as I'm walking. It seems like I can't get back to that trail. How long have I been gone? Maybe an hour. Two at the most?
    I keep walking. I see an image of plants that look shriveled and dehydrated flash before my eyes with a vibrant purple shade to them.
    Dead roots with thorns coming out of the ground. Before I can think of what it is, I see what's actually in-front of me again.
    What am I supposed to be doing? I retrace my steps and continue walking towards the trail. At least, I think I'm walking back to it.
    I'm not so sure now.

Not that I didn't feel it before, but I begin to realize that my hand and wrist feel numb. I can't feel them.
    I look at my hand and see that its covered in the same colors that the grass was. I scream and begin to run.
    "VANESSA!" "OWEN!" I keep yelling their names as I'm running. What's happened to my hand? How did this happen?
    I watch it. It slowly spreads across my skin. I turn as I see a vine reach up out of the ground and wrap around my ankle and try to pull me down with it. I jerk on it and end up ripping it in half and running some more. For some reason, the more I run the slower I feel.
    I feel like I'm being held down by something. I continue running and I trip over my own foot onto the dry and dusty trail.
    I've finally made it back to the trail! Yes! I did it! I smile brightly at the dirt below me and look up.
    Now I just have to-

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 14.
    Family.

Something bright... get it away.. from ..my eyes.. ...wait a minute..

I begin to open my eyes as I see Owen holding a flashlight in my face. Vanessa's standing behind him. I look at them, "Why are you guys out here too..?" Owen looks at Vanessa and shakes his head. He looks back at me, "I had to drag your tail back home. You were passed out on the road. Vanessa came back shortly after." I try to remember, but all I can think of is when I saw my hand. "My hand," I begin to say. He looks at them, "What about it..?" I look at them as well, "W-What? They were- How did- But I saw them-! They w-were different and something was spreading on them!"

Owen gets up and sighs.
    "You just had to drag her out there," he says as he's looking down. Vanessa laughs, "You can't blame this on me. She's the one who decided to get herself to pass out on the road after going on a little field trip. She didn't even bother with saying anything." "That's probably because you never shut up long enough to listen, so here we are," he says. Vanessa goes to smack him, but in return he grabs her hand and throws her outside, shutting the door behind her.

Shivers. Not that I'm cold, but just the fact that its almost frightening to see Owen angry. "I'm sorry about that," he says, "But I needed her to leave so I can tell you what I found out. Come with me." If I dare. Do I dare? Dares are fun.
    I will do the dare. I follow him upstairs and into his office. He shows me his notes he's been taking. I look up at him, "What?" He says, "You're the same as I am. Except for that one unique aspect. All of the other aspects are the same as mine. We're related somehow." "How did that nonsense get in your head," I ask.

"The only time two people share the same aspects is if they have the same mother and father. Usually out of the aspects, all are the same for except one. Sometimes two or more, but rarely. You're my sister. I know everything about you. The person who I saw the bear with was you. I was with you before I ever went that tribe. I was with you for your entire life up until you disappeared one day. You were a witch, a very smart witch. Only, you were a few years younger than a young adult. In fact, you had just turned fifteen back then. It has been almost three years since I have seen you, and here you are, Violet." I just watch him. He shows me everything he had been doing. "You can ask Vanessa if you disbelieve me."

"Violet," I say, "that is my name?" He nods.
    "And we're related? You expect me to believe that? You were horrible to me when we met in the forest. Why would I want to believe a single word coming out of your mouth, Owen," I say, "For all I know, this could just just be you trying to pull something. Why would I be related to you and you not be able to realize it in the first place?"

"You bite your tongue," he says.
    He grabs my arm and looks down, "You are my family. I've been nicer to you, haven't I? I told you before that you seemed familiar. I couldn't recognize you because you've changed. Your personality, especially. More grown up than you used to be. Even more stubborn than before. And the best of all, you didn't remember your own age or name. You can't act like you didn't recognize me, even just a little. Kismet Charming. That's what you named that stupid cat when you had finally gained a Familiar. It was the best day of my life. Watching a cat take my place. As soon as you brought that thing home with you, I had to speed up the process of getting my information. When you had left, I was calling for you to help. I managed. You can either decide to listen to what I'm telling you now, or you can go back to taking naps on a dirt trail. Its up to you."

I walk out of the room to let him continue his work. You would think that after all of this crap that's popped up, we'd have at least one full day to enjoy our lives in peace. No stress, no bad news, no labor, nothing. Today was supposed to be a good day, and now he's pulling this mess? Is this a sick joke of his? It isn't funny. I am not related to him.

No. Absolutely not.
    I will not be put under the same category as him as far as intelligence goes. Its so below me. I'm smart enough to ignore this child's play. He must've done something wrong. I'm sure that by tomorrow he will have gotten over the fact that his attempt of mischief failed and will admit to it. Yeah, that's what will happen. This is just a cruel joke of his. Who knew people would take things so far like he is. And even if it were true, I'd only believe it if, he's going to need more proof than writing in some book. He could've made that up, too! He'd need a miracle.

The next day I go to him all smug-like and fold my arms. "Do you have something to say," I ask. He shrugs and continues his work. I peek over his shoulder and see almost a dozen copies of those scans he had to do to figure that out. They're all positive results. "Wanna try for yourself? Maybe then you'd act like a mature adult and figure it out," he says. Why would I want to do that? It wouldn't change my mind anyway, but maybe I should just humor him. I sit down beside him and he teaches me how to run the scans. Again, its positive. I shrug. "Look," he says, "I'm not going to make you believe me. if you're looking for an apology or for me to confess this was some sort of joke, it won't happen," he says.

Is he actually being serious?

Last edited:

Wobiee

Mythical
    Wobiee
    Wobiee Wobiee
    These are all fantastic stories! It's full of drama and everything and I enjoy it quite a lot! Keep the stories coming, good job. :)

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 15.
    Tainted.

I watch him as he continues to try and explain everything to me.
    He says that it would make perfect sense if I'd just listen to him for once, but I don't believe it.
    I'm sure it isn't as big of a deal as I make it out to be, but still. I don't want to be related to him.
    I am a book. A book that no one has read except for the title and maybe a few bits and pieces. Now Owen comes along, partakes in my story, and then within a few weeks he now knows almost everything about me because he's a family relative. That bothers me.
    He knows more about me than I know about myself. I don't like that. I would rather live my life partially in obscurity, and partially in my adorable, crazy, admirable, insane behavior that everyone can't take their eyes off of because they just hate it that much.
    Its fun. But no, now he has to come along. He's going to show off more than ever.

"Now will you believe me," he huffs. I shrug, "Maybe. Let me think about it for a bit and I'll get back to you on that."
    I've pretty much given up by this point. He sighs, "I'm sure our mother would smack you black n' blue for that attitude. She'd make you believe it no matter how stubborn you were. I bet you got it from her, too." "Your mother," I say, "not mine." "Whatever you say," he says.
    "Look," I tell him, "maybe we are siblings. But that doesn't mean I should have to act like it when I don't remember any of it."
    "If that's how you want to be, fine," he says, "I'm not here to tell you what to do anymore."

I head over to Vanessa's house and talk to her over some tea in her garden on a bench.
    "Honey," she says, "you're obviously dealing with someone who is expecting way too much from you in only a day. I wouldn't be too excited about the news either if I heard it for myself. I don't think you're in the wrong here. I don't think he is either, but maybe he's just a bit too hopeful. And once he gets his hopes up for nothing, maybe he'll back off. That may not be the best solution, but..." "I'm not worried with sparing his feelings," I tell her.

She eventually goes to get us both more tea. While I'm occupied with admiring my surroundings, I notice something similar to what I had previously seen. A few of those purple looking particles on the grass. A small patch of grass ends up shriveling up within seconds. I look back at my hand, but I still don't see any difference. Nothing like what had me so spooked before.

I call out Vanessa's name but she isn't nearby.
    I watch the particles. Thunder comes out of nowhere. The sky is clear and there aren't any clouds in sight. I don't understand any of this, but it begins to concern me. I remember how I felt weak when near this stuff in the forest. But now I feel as if I'm gaining strength from it. I felt peaceful and relaxed. Now I can feel something different. I'm unsure what it is, but I do.

Vanessa runs out of the house yelling my name. "VIOLET!" I stand up and look at her. "What happened," she says in a panic, "The virus- How did it get here?!" "I remember when she and Owen were speaking about it before. Owen said that he would tell me. I guess we both forgot about it. What is it," I ask. She looks on the ground and her eyes widen, "Its here, too.. What did you do, lowlife mutt?!"

She uses her powers to slam me onto a tree to where I can't move. "Vanessa, what is wrong with you? I don't even know what it is," I tell her. "It is a virus that spreads very quickly if specific items aren't nearby. Only a Researcher would be able to find or make these items. And you're related to Owen, are you not? You must know about this! It kills everything in its path, creates monsters, turns innocent living creatures into its slaves. You have brought it to my garden! It has plenty to feed off of, now! You will explain yourself or I will leave you here to find out what else it does to living beings," she says.

I struggle to free myself but it is of no use.
    It seems like the more I struggle, the more I begin to notice it spreading. I calm myself and wait. "Owen and I came here. We worked on the house and we met you. He gave me my reading, which eventually lead to him believing that we are siblings. I don't know anything about this," I tell her. "He, out of all Ethereals, gave you a reading? Ha! You must be joking," she says. "Why would I be joking? And, he isn't an Ethereal. He is just a very talented Researcher. According to what I have been told," I say. She thinks, "There are only two types of people who can do Readings. Ethereals and The Warped Ones. If he isn't an Ethereal then you're in danger with being near him," she says, "His mind is corrupt if he is Warped. I cannot believe you knew none of this. Powerful Researchers have two paths to take after a certain point. The Ethereal path, where they focus on what is good of future studies, or the Warped path. The Warped path numbs all sanity of the mind and creates a demon inside of you, slowly killing the creature that you used to be. Researchers can grow to have too much of a lust for their knowledge. When that happens, they exchange their soul for it. The man he used to be before he became Warped is dead. We don't know what is left of him," she says.

"No," I tell her, "Owen isn't- He can't- Then why would he have helped me? Maybe he is an Ethereal but didn't want to say!" "Ethereals don't ever hide who they are," she says, "Warpers always will. They are deceitful and incredibly dishonest. They will do anything to get what they lust for. Power, knowledge, the image of innocence, anything. He lusts to manipulate your brain specifically. I can only imagine why."

"Besides all of this nonsense," I say, "what is the issue with a bit of rotted grass-" An image of a land filled with vibrant purple colors, dead trees, dead bushes and grass, creatures born from manipulated earth, and complete destruction appears in my head for a moment. I look back at her. "This is what a bit of infected grass will turn into," she says, "An image of-"

"A perfect image of suffering and self destruction," a voice says. Vanessa turns around to see Owen standing there with a knife in hand. He jams the knife into her chest and lets her fall. I gain freedom from her magic and back away from him. "Owen," I say, "what is all of this?"

He sighs, "My dear, naive sister, you will still believe anything you are told. I'm afraid I was wrong, you haven't changed at all. But either way, my beautiful masterpiece, you still perform with flying colors. Spreading this beautiful Taint that I put inside of you when I created your body and your soul out of something so pure, and you don't even know about it until later. You up and ran to that field like the stupid brat you are. You decided to refuse me, refuse it, refuse this beautiful virus that will now spread across the world. But little do you know that where you had woken up at was where you had fallen down, dead. I did not want a daughter. I had found a once in a lifetime opportunity and I took it. I created a living human out of my image. With a more gentle figure, a softer voice, an empty mind possessing everything I have... It was all too precious. For a man to create something living that had never been born. A gentle topic, indeed.

So I created a sister. Even if it meant that I had to lie. Even if I had to that I had to raise you as if I had a choice! But my so called 'love' for you compelled me to not leave you behind... You were my beloved sister, who our parents failed to raise, and whatever other teensie tiny lies I could make up for you to trust me. After all, you were too braindead to know better. I recognized you the moment I saw you..."

He grins, "And now, you will Not be leaving me again. I Will make you submit."

Last edited:

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Sry for the (very) late chapter! Hopefully these next few chapters will make up for it. :)

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 16.
    A World of Darkness.

I look at Vanessa for a brief moment while she's standing beside him. Her eyes filled with the anger of a devil. I quickly look back at him, "You killed her.." He chuckles, "Its not like anyone's going to miss her, anyway. No one needs to know, anyway. Who's gonna bother telling anyone? You?" She gets up and grabs him. The wound on her chest somehow seems mostly healed by now. I wonder if he's just that weak or if she was able to use magic to heal herself? I don't have much time to think about it, either. She grabs my wrist and runs through the woods, dragging me behind her. I look behind us and he's gone. "Vanessa, where'd he go," I ask.
    She doesn't say anything and continues running.

We end up stopping in an open field. She grabs a small bag out of her side pocket and makes a circle around the both of us. It throws dust on the ground. Its a light blue color, almost like some of the jewels I've seen that she possesses. A barrier begins to surround us. I look up to see a rather infuriated Owen chasing after. She looks at me, "Think of a place!" I panic, "The only place that I know is the-" Within seconds, we appear back at the Researcher's tribe. She looks at me with the ever-famous death glare. "You.. Little.. SON OF A," "Welcome back," Mariah calls out. I look at her and smile, "Its nice to... see you again.." She smiles, "Yeah!" Her smile instantly turns into anger. "After you betrayed us," she hisses. The other Researchers watch us. The next thing I know, Vanessa and I are in cages.

"You are nothing but hell's servant which is here to please," Vanessa groans. I don't understand what she means, so I ignore it all-together. A woman walks in wearing similar clothing as the chieftian did. "I hate to throw you of all people in my prison," she says with a stern voice, "But really, I have no choice other than to place you here. You see, when you left, the chieftian of this fine tribe was cut down for allowing our sacrifice to the Blood Magic Users get away. Let alone allow her to eavesdrop on such an important meeting with enough information to send to them. He practically allowed a spy into our walls.

I should be thanking you for my new position, however, I'm not as kind-hearted as he is, you know. I am far more intelligent and upfront with my thoughts. I am young and strong. I don't have to deceive the weak to get what I desire because I earn it. He, on the other hand, is a coward who got himself hung for his crimes once I brought it up to the public eye. I will not call you a 'guest' as he has, but a major threat instead."

"Well then," I say, "you caught me, oh great one. I have been defeated. Yes, I am a spy from the Blood Magic Users. I was sent here for secrets, but not of your own. I came looking for a familiar face. Her name is Mariah. She's familiar with the Blood Magic Users. She wanted me to act braindead about us knowing each other. Why, she even lied about who she was and what she knew." "Mariah," she says, "that girl? Preposterous. She's the one who-" "She got upset that I didn't bring her along as she wanted. Infact, she wanted me to let them know of some of your healers. I believe they were called Ether... Ethera.. No, that can't be right.." She looks at some men standing by the hall door. "Find her," she tells them. It seems that I have successfully angered her, just a bit.

She then takes her exit.
    "You're going to get us killed," Vanessa angrily whispers. She must know how well her breath smells. I pet her head, "I will see you in hell, then. It'll be nice to show you around my homelands. As you said before, apparently I'm familiar with the place." She stutters and looks for something at least half intelligent to say that will bother me, but she knows such a thing is impossible to find at the moment. We are in the last spot Owen would think to look. One, it will take him forever to get here. And two, he'd never think that we were taken in as prisoners. Not unless he asked around, of course, even though he would know better. Its quite obvious, really. He'd be captured as well for his betrayal to his own kind. But for all he knows, we could've up and left!

That night I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder.
    "Haven't you thought about it," she asks, "About your... er... natural ability to spread the virus? What if they find out?" I look at her with nothing but joy and a mischievous grin, "Don't worry. I'm bankin' on it."

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 17.
    A Queen's Voice.

Vanessa has a difficult time staying in the same cell as I am. The virus filled machine.
    I have never seen someone look at me with such odd expressions before in my existence. If I did, I definitely would've remembered that.
    "Vanessa," I say, "will you calm down?" She laughs, "Calm down? Why wouldn't I be calmed? The more I think about what's been going on, how do I know I should even trust you anymore? I- I mean- I know I can trust you and all, but I know that you could spread that virus on accident. It could be right above the surface as we speak. And why did you leave here anyways?" "Owen and I left here together. They were going to send me to the Blood User's tribe, but we decided we'd find another way to solve their issues," I tell her, "but he never said anything else about it. In a way, I guess I forgot about it all together. So many things popped up. I wish I hadn't of forgotten, because now I still have no idea for a solution and they still seem to want me to fix their issue somehow." She seems confused.
    I continue to explain everything to her, and eventually she seems to get the idea, even just a bit.

Its been two nights and a day and I haven't been spoken to. We weren't given any food besides a few apples and some bread.
    They asked if we wanted wine, I declined them before Vanessa could think about getting excited. I doubt they mean much, anyway.
    People used to drink wine with their bread, didn't they? Plus, somewhere I do think I've heard that just a tad bit of wine every few days or so will help you stay healthy. I personally would rather get out of a cage than worry about that, though. And as well as that, I'd like to know what's going on. Everyone seems to be buzzing like bees, in such a rush, no time to stop. They may stop for just a second, but only to continue their busy path shortly after. I begin to wonder how much trouble I got Mariah into. I can understand that she may feel betrayed, but she's a child. If that isn't completely preposterous then I don't know what is.

Later on during the next morning, besides the smell of non-bathed witch and my impatient self, a new smell enters the room.
    The woman comes back with a sly grin on her face. "Good morning," she says. We watch her walk up to the cage and grab the bars.
    Vanessa is about to blow a fuse with how annoyed she is. I'm just annoyed because I'm impatient.
    The woman talks. And talks. And talks. And talks... Talks some more... More and more talking... Finally, she stops.
    And then she talks some more!
    Eventually we end up having to sit through her entire history lesson on how Researchers and Blood Magic Users have been warring for who knows how long, I forgot the specific date, and how she's been desperately trying to find a solution to this issue. Peace or death, she has no preference. To be honest, neither do I. As long as I get to go back to bed here soon, I could care less about everything going on at this current moment. Oddly enough, some strong feeling in the back of my head tells me that she won't allow that. (I say as she continues talking.)

"We are the strongest in knowledge of the seen and unseen," she says, "The others are considered useless. Not only does our knowledge surpass theirs, but the world's abilities as well. We can manipulate the mind. One way of doing so has been forbidden by the different types of tribes. We never are to surpass this rule. That rule is the rule of permanently damaging our prisoners. We cannot change their minds into something else. Us Researchers cannot warp a person's mind if they are a part of any of these tribes. Though, one specific type of magic using kind does not have this rule. Witches. So, my friend, we will just have to see just how cooperative you really are." I grin, "Do you honestly think torture will be necessary on me? I am a walking time-bomb, if you haven't noticed. And here I thought you were smart. I was sure that you would be able to notice the infected when you saw it. Maybe they gave the rank of chieftian to the wrong person." "Infected," she asks, "You mean tainted? You aren't tainted, girl. Your aura is... How strange... You do seem to have a very strange aura. Explain this further to me, rodent."

"You think I'm going to do anything for you with that tone," I ask. Somehow I just find this woman to all of a sudden be rather amusing. She sighs, "We can torture you for words, you know. Though, then again.. That aura. Very well, you will join me for super this evening. There we can discuss our future together." "How romantic," I say. She rolls her eyes, mutters a few insults under her breath, and leaves.

Vanessa looks so confused. The poor girl.
    "What are you going to do," she asks. Soon we both find out. I had no plan to begin with, but good things come to those who wing jt! That's how the saying goes, right?

"Its wonderful that you finally arrived," she says, "I was growing tired of waiting. Now sit, we have much to discuss. Don't mind if the guards stand by the doors. A necessary precaution, you see." We sit at the table. "One of your own, the boy who brought me away from this place, he infected me with this virus. Taint, yes? I seem to spread it at random times. I can't force it. It just happens. It isn't permanent, though. It eventually begins to fade. At least, I think it does," I tell her. "I see," she says, "So you are a wild card. I never liked those. My father did. He did great things with strange people like you. Then he died by one, thank goodness. Not to say that in a bad way, but he was a horrible man. He never held his end of the bargains and let those blessed people die after doing his work. I had about enough of it when I got older. Anyway, perhaps we could strike a deal. You both are witches. The Blood Magic Users like witches. Great friends to them. If we send the both of you there, I want you to try your hardest to spread that virus, but only in one of their nearby tribes. You must not, however, let it stay permanently." "And in return?" "We will find a way to cure you of this virus and give you a home here as one of our own. The boy will become a wanted man," she says. "Done," I say right after she finishes. As long as he isn't near me, that is all I need. And if they truly can find a way to cure me, this will be amazing!

We settle our deal and I am taken to be studied. They will be working on something to help me while I am away. Will I be free from this stress? If there is a chance of that then how can I say no? They may betray their word, but I'll think of something to corner them with. I will. Vanessa dislikes my idea, but she's bat crazy so I'm not concerned with her.

I am told to stay in that room and keep quiet until everything is ready. I'm unsure when, but for once in quite a few days, I finally feel at peace. Even if it is only for a moment. I have hope.

TrueViolett

Mythical
    JosieViolent20
    Chapter 18.
    The Blood Magic Users.

I end up walking through the woods as if I'm some sort of rag doll. I'm tired and I'm not fed. Not only that, but Vanessa didn't accompany me on my trip. The chieftian decided that she would do better to come in when the time is right, not as a wasted extra. I'm unsure what she has going on inside of her head, but really, is it my place to wonder that while I have so much on my own plate? Still, I can only be curious about her safety there and what they might be doing to her while I'm away.

I have also began to wonder if this is a one sides argument that I am going by without stopping to consider the other point of view. I can't help but feel like I've completely neglected whatever justice the Blood Magic Users may have, if they have any. I'm being told that they use their powers to harm others, but really, have the Researchers done any different? I was told that I was created by... magic, or whatever nonsense Owen brought up. I was created by nothing but a man's physical ability and the manipulated parts of the world that he used to help guide him. All of it happened just so that I could be this unintentional, soulless murderer of nature and humans just by existing. If I decided to stop my breath, what would happen then? Would the darkness that has been forced inside of me spread from my dead body throughout the world? Would it be destroyed, or would it grow stronger by feeding off of me? And more importantly, would it find a new host? Why must I be the vessel to this horrible darkness? Even if there is a way to get rid of it, would it be worth it?
    Not only that, but what if the chieftian is lying after all? I feel like a starving animal with food hanging just an inch out of my grasp.
    They're using me. Toying with me.
    It angers me.

As I'm walking, my foot sinks into something. Mud. I look down and notice the fact that the dirt is... wait, is this blood?
    I look around the area and notice the tree beside me. Someone put blood on it. I look around some more. Yeah, there's some on that tree, too! And there, there, even there... I continue following the trail leading towards who knows what. I spot two men.
    One has a buck on his shoulder, the other has turkeys, squirrels, even a snake on his side and a paper bag with some berries.

(You can tell by the juice dripping from the bottom of the bag.) They notice me stumbling around like I'm an alcoholic, which I might be considering the fact that I don't remember half of the reason why I suddenly accepted the offer for this.
    I'm sure it'll come to me later. As far as these two, part of me expects them to want to kill me and part of me thinks that they'll try to sacrifice me to the demons or something. Great, now I'm beginning to sound all one-sided like the Researchers...
    To my surprise, that isn't what they do at all.

One man drops the buck on his shoulder and rushes over to me. The other man follows him while tying the bag to the opposite side of his caught prey. "John," the man with the berries says, "what's wrong?" The man, John, looks at me and grabs my arms, "What have they done to you?" I don't say anything, I think I'd rather let this play out a bit. He seems older than I am, yet he's gentle.
    He looks at the other man, "She's infected by their taint." "Oh," the other says, "John we can't allow that... the healers would-"
    "Would you get over the healers," he says, "They've done enough as it is to screw people over who aren't one of us. Either they help her properly or we'll help her ourselves, got it?" The man sighs and watches. He has blonde hair and blue eyes.
    I might try to say something witty about his appearance, and wouldn't even need to bring up his attire. I could say that Hitler would've married him just because of his dashing looks, or something else just as cheesy and overly-used, but I'd rather spare him for now.
    As far as the man named John, he has dark brown hair similar to mine and brown eyes.

They bicker and bicker on what to do with me and yet I haven't said a word. People and emotions are weird.
    I cough into my arm to catch their attention. They look back at me. "Oh," John says, "my apologies. Please, let me- er- us take you back to our home. We'll see what we can do to get rid of the taint inside of your heart." "My heart," I ask. They just look at each other, and sir no-name nods, "She needs help." They drag me with them to a large camp. The walls there are almost twice as large as the homes there that I see. Some of the trees aren't as tall. There are simple homes and white tents every now and then. Apparently they're medical tents. That's where they take me first.

The healers there look more serious about their work than Ethereals do, as far as healing goes.
    They have me sit down and we talk about the taint. I don't necessarily feel comfortable speaking about it to them, so I keep things mostly to myself. "How long have you had this," they ask. "My entire life," I say. "How did this happen? Was it the Researchers," they ask. I nod. "How often is it triggered," they ask. "I don't know, its happened twice since I woke up from whatever had happened. I'm not sure about a lot of things," I tell them, "I'm not sure that I'm comfortable being asked so many questions. I don't know anyone here, I was just brought here. I understand that you want to help me deal with this but..." The healer woman looks at me and holds my hands in my lap, "We do not want to help you deal with this illness," she says, "We want to help you get rid of it. Let me make that clear to you. We are going to help you."

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. What she said. The other healers, they just stood there and kept working or asking questions. She only paid attention to how I was feeling, or how awkward this entire situation was for me. What's more important than any of it, she actually wanted to help me get over it. I thought those two, John and the other man, I thought they were just assuming things. If there is a way for these people to be able to help me, though, after what Owen's done, then why would I want to hurt them for the Researchers? The chieftian, she wanted me to harm these people here so that way I could be healed. The people here, however, would rather help me with no blackmail involved?
    What am I doing?