• IP Copied!
  • Tips on applying for apprentice on HavocMC

BenGermann

Mythical
    BenGermann
    BenGermann BenGermann
    Hey guys, how are you all doing today? So I've noticed that the majority of the apprentice applications we receive are not up to our accepting standards, or come close but end up falling short in one category or another. I decided that I would make this thread to help anyone that's thinking of applying so that we hopefully get more qualifying candidates for the apprentice position. I'm going to be going through what to put and what not to put on your helper application, so hopefully, people will have a better understanding of what we're looking for by the time they're done reading this.

Length:
    Overall we are looking for quality over quantity, but we will also be looking for long answers that fully answer the stated questions in the application. For the main questions (Why do you want to join our staff team at HavocMC?, Why do you think you would be fit for staff?, What do you hope to get out of this experience?), we are looking for at a minimum four sentences, although you shouldn't aim for only four sentences. Try to do full paragraph answers, or even multi-paragraph answers if possible. For the other questions, try to give at least two sentence answers that fully answer the stated question. Again try to aim higher than the minimum if you can. If you answer the questions with one sentence answers with little detail, your chances of being accepted are very, very small.

Content:
    This falls back to quality over quantity. For every question try to make your answers the best quality you can make them. Make them have depth, meaning, and the truth. On the application, if you answer the question "Why do you think you would be fit for staff?" with something like: "I think I'd be fit for staff because I enjoy helping people and I've always been good at problem-solving so I could break up conflicts easily.", then I'll be wondering why you're so good at problem-solving, or why you enjoy helping people. Try to expand on the points that you have put, so instead of just saying "I've always been good at problem-solving" you could say:

"I've always been able to solve problems and resolve conflicts between others easily. I sometimes get into arguments with my friends at school, or my friends get into arguments with each other, so I calmly try to diffuse the situation before anyone gets too mad or becomes hurt. If someone was mad at me for lying to them for example, I would hear them out and most likely apologize for my mistake instead of just furthering the argument or "stirring the pot" so to speak.".

The example above would be a great part of an answer to "Why do you think you would be fit for staff?".

Grammar:
    Make sure to always use proper grammar when answering the questions on your application. Watch out for little grammatical mistakes and errors such as putting "i" instead of "I", putting "your" instead of "you're", putting "its" instead of "it's", etc. I've seen applications that had good and long answers, but they also had a horrendous grammar that just degrades the overall quality of the application.

This is fairly straight forward, we are looking for applicants that are at least fifteen years old. Our reasoning for this is because we believe that age can play into your overall maturity level (which is a very big factor in being staff by the way), so we don't want to accept people that are too young. There is a small possibility that you can be accepted if you're younger than fifteen, but for that to happen your application must be of stellar quality (multi-paragraph answers, good depth, and detail, etc.). Please make sure not to lie about your age.

Punishments:
    Having a clean punishment history will really help your chances of becoming an apprentice here. Having no punishments shows us that you can be respectful and not try to start things with others for no reason. You can still be accepted if you have received punishment on our server, but we will be taking into account things like when you last received a punishment, what the majority of your punishments are for, what type of punishments you have received, your overall maturity level and level of respect to others on the server and forums, and a few other background things. Try to include all the punishments you've received and why you received them if you remember them.

Gameplay:
    When a staff member mentions your "gameplay" that means they're talking about your total amount of time spent on the server since you joined. Having a decent amount of gameplay is important if you're applying for staff as it shows you're dedicated to the server and that you won't lose interest. I really have no set parameters for an individual's gameplay, so just try to use common sense. If you haven't been able to hit more than thirty minutes a day for the past month since you joined, you're gameplay won't be looking too good. If you can consistently hit two hours a day, your gameplay will be looking great. If you're every curious about how much gameplay you have, PM a Sr. Mod+ and they can tell you. Please note that you cannot ask to check some else's gameplay, only your own.

Being honest:
    When applying, try to be as honest as you can. If you aren't fifteen yet, state that in your application. If you've received a lot of punishments, own up to it. If you don't have experience in being staff, don't try to hide it from us. If you aren't honest in your application then how could we trust you as a fellow staff member and/or friend on our team. We value honesty on here so please don't try to hide things from us. If you say you're seventeen when you're actually thirteen, then you won't be accepted.

Plagiarism:
    We have a strict no plagiarism policy when regarding any applications for staff on HavocMC. We can easily check if an application has been plagiarized, so don't try to sneak a plagiarized application by us. If an application is plagiarized that shows us that the applicant can't take the effort into creating their own application, so that leads us to believe that said applicant would also not take the effort into being a good staff member. Any plagiarized applications will be closed without a reply.

HavocMC Staff Guidelines:
    While this isn't part of the application itself, this document outlines what people will be getting into if they get accepted as an apprentice. This document also outlines staff rules as well. You can find the document here.

That's all the tips I have for now if I think of any other tips I will add them to this thread. Thanks for reading and good luck to anyone that's applying!

Last edited:

Knightas

Legend
    Knightas
    Knightas Knightas
    Hey guys, how are you all doing today? So I've noticed that the majority of our helper applications we receive are not up to our accepting standards, or come close but end up falling short in one category or another. I decided that I would make this thread to help anyone that's thinking of applying so that we hopefully get more qualifying candidates for the helper position. I'm going to be going through what to put and what not to put on your helper application, so hopefully people will have a better understanding of what we're looking for by the time they're done reading this.

Length:
    Overall we are looking for quality over quantity, but we will also be looking for long answers that fully answer the stated questions in the application. For the main questions (Why do you want to join our staff team at HavocMC?, Why do you think you would be fit for staff?, What do you hope to get out of this experience?), we are looking for at minimum four sentences, although you shouldn't aim for only four sentences. Try to do full paragraph answers, or even multi-paragraph answers if possible. For the other questions, try to give at least two sentence answers that fully answer the stated question. Again try to aim higher than the minimum if you can. If you answer the questions with one sentences answers with little detail, your chances at being accepted are very, very small.

Content:
    This falls back to quality over quantity. For every question try to make your answers the best quality you can make them. Make them have depth, meaning, and the truth. On the application if you answer the question "Why do you think you would be fit for staff?" with something like: "I think I'd be fit for staff because I enjoy helping people and I've always been good at problem solving so I could break up conflicts easily.", then I'll be wondering why you're so good at problem solving, or why you enjoy helping people. Try to expand on the points that you have put, so instead of just saying "I've always been good at problem solving" you could say:

"I've always been able to solve problems and resolve conflicts between others easily. I sometimes get into arguments with my friends at school, or my friends get into arguments with each other, so I calmly try to diffuse the situation before anyone gets too mad or becomes hurt. If someone was mad at me for lying to them for example, I would hear them out and most likely apologize for my mistake instead of just furthering the argument or "stirring the pot" so to speak.".

The example above would be a great part of an answer to "Why do you think you would be fit for staff?".

Grammar:
    Make sure to always use proper grammar when answering the questions on your application. Watch out for little grammatical mistakes and errors such as putting "i" instead of "I", putting "your" instead of "you're", putting "its" instead of "it's", etc. I've seen applications that had good and long answers, but they also had horrendous grammar that just degrades the overall quality of the application.

This is fairly straight forward, we are looking for applicants that are at least fourteen years old. Our reasoning for this is because we believe that age can play into your overall maturity level (which is a very big factor in being staff by the way), so we don't want to accept people that are too young. There is a small possibility that you can be accepted if you're younger than fourteen, but for that to happen your application must be of stellar quality (multi-paragraph answers, good depth and detail, etc.). Please make sure not to lie about your age.

Punishments:
    Having a clean punishment history will really help your chances in becoming a helper on here. Having no punishments shows us that you can be respectful and not try to start things with others for no reason. You can still be accepted if you have receive punishment on our server, but we will be taking into account things like when you last received a punishment, what the majority of your punishments are for, what type of punishments you have received, your overall maturity level and level of respect to others on the server and forums, and a few other background things. Try to include all the punishments you've received and why you received them if you remember them.

Being honest:
    When applying, try to be as honest as you can. If you aren't fourteen yet, state that in your application. If you've received a lot of punishments, own up to it. If you don't have experience in being staff, don't try to hide it from us. If you aren't honest in your application then how could we trust you as a fellow staff member and/or friend on our team. We value honesty on here so please don't try to hide things from us. If you say you're seventeen when you're actually thirteen, then you won't be accepted.

HavocMC Staff Guidelines:
    While this isn't part of the application itself, this document outlines what people will be getting into if they get accepted as helper. This document also outlines staff rules as well. You can find the document here.

That's all the tips I have for now, if I think of any other tips I will add them to this thread. Thanks for reading and good luck to anyone that's applying!
    i might apply for staff during the summer, but i do not know if i gotten any warns, could you pm me if i do or i do not thanks

DDENGAR

Mythical
    DDENGAR
    DDENGAR DDENGAR
    My First Application was to Boost @ChlngeAccepted application since they ignored him for 3 months, It didn't obviously work and then I made a Thread which got their attention ;) 但是现在他 but he then went to the Navy or AirForce I completely forgot which... either way don't ever consider my first application :confused:

Last edited:

Draw4

Draw4
    Draw4 Draw4
    I wish had clean record, but great tips for people signing up for Helper!

Cat_Squirrel_Inc

Mythical
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    I'd like to apply for helper, but I'm also fairly skilled at building. The only problem is I can't figure out which one I should lean towards. If I go for builder, I'd get to express my creativity with others and construct amazing builds; however, I'm not very good with worldedit (I only know the basic commands), large scale builds always seem daunting, and clearing up time to work on builds could create conflicts. With Helper, I could seriously try and make the server a better place. I've been around since the OG days (when cars looked like minecarts in the inventory), so I know my way around pretty well. I love being the savior in the midst of the chaos, and helping new players get a jump start is something I've always be up to do. But then there's the time commitment. School is starting up again so how will that affect me? I really want to apply, and I'm pretty sure you can't apply for both.

If anyone can help me make a decision, I'd appreciate it. Even some helpful hints or suggestions.

-Cat Squirrel

UnknownMelody

Mythical
    UnknownMelody
    UnknownMelody UnknownMelody
    I'd like to apply for helper, but I'm also fairly skilled at building. The only problem is I can't figure out which one I should lean towards. If I go for builder, I'd get to express my creativity with others and construct amazing builds; however, I'm not very good with worldedit (I only know the basic commands), large scale builds always seem daunting, and clearing up time to work on builds could create conflicts. With Helper, I could seriously try and make the server a better place. I've been around since the OG days (when cars looked like minecarts in the inventory), so I know my way around pretty well. I love being the savior in the midst of the chaos, and helping new players get a jump start is something I've always be up to do. But then there's the time commitment. School is starting up again so how will that affect me? I really want to apply, and I'm pretty sure you can't apply for both.

If anyone can help me make a decision, I'd appreciate it. Even some helpful hints or suggestions.

-Cat Squirrel
    In the end, the decision is up to you however, there are pros and cons to both. It just depends on the amount of time you can commit and your personal preference. Helpers need to be active for at least seven hours a week. I don't believe Builders have a requirement, but I've heard of them working double-digit hours everyday when they really need to push out a map. I remember when the giant map on TMD was introduced, I heard Builders complaining that they had worked 12-16 hours a day for weeks as the community was complaining about how long it was taking for the map update. That map wasn't received well and they had to get straight back to work creating a slightly smaller but more detailed map to please the players. However, you receive criticism with both ranks. I would personally suggest applying for Helper, but that's because it's just my personal preference and that's the path I chose. c:

Cat_Squirrel_Inc

Mythical
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    In the end, the decision is up to you however, there are pros and cons to both. It just depends on the amount of time you can commit and your personal preference. Helpers need to be active for at least seven hours a week. I don't believe Builders have a requirement, but I've heard of them working double-digit hours everyday when they really need to push out a map. I remember when the giant map on TMD was introduced, I heard Builders complaining that they had worked 12-16 hours a day for weeks as the community was complaining about how long it was taking for the map update. That map wasn't received well and they had to get straight back to work creating a slightly smaller but more detailed map to please the players. However, you receive criticism with both ranks. I would personally suggest applying for Helper, but that's because it's just my personal preference and that's the path I chose. c:
    Thank you very much for your help! I think I might go for Helper now that you mention the time commitment. I can't do double digits no matter what free time I have.

Last edited:

Cat_Squirrel_Inc

Mythical
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    So there's a question where it asks for the date you joined, I don't remember the exact date, but I remember the rough years. Is there somewhere I can find the exact date I joined?

SummonersJhift

Mythical
    SummonersJhift
    SummonersJhift SummonersJhift
    I've applied twice now, my first rejection I was ok with, but I was critiqued on my age and the fact that I would be overwhelmed with players questioning my every move. I understand that havoc doesn't want 10 year olds in staff, but I have played this server for 2 years now and just because I am 13, does not mean I shouldn't be aloud to staff because "You wouldn't be able to handle it, people will question your every move because you are young." I'm not asking to be given the same standards as a 17 year old, but I am asking that my age can be over looked for

1. Hours on the server (experience)
    2. Maturity
    3. The drive to actually want this more then most

This is all I ask, I hope this can be done. Have a nice day!

UnknownMelody

Mythical
    UnknownMelody
    UnknownMelody UnknownMelody
    So there's a question where it asks for the date you joined, I don't remember the exact date, but I remember the rough years. Is there somewhere I can find the exact date I joined?
    I just checked and you joined on 06/05/16. c:

I've applied twice now, my first rejection I was ok with, but I was critiqued on my age and the fact that I would be overwhelmed with players questioning my every move. I understand that havoc doesn't want 10 year olds in staff, but I have played this server for 2 years now and just because I am 13, does not mean I shouldn't be aloud to staff because "You wouldn't be able to handle it, people will question your every move because you are young." I'm not asking to be given the same standards as a 17 year old, but I am asking that my age can be over looked for

1. Hours on the server (experience)
    2. Maturity
    3. The drive to actually want this more then most

This is all I ask, I hope this can be done. Have a nice day!
    I'm unsure of when you submitted your last application, but I was suggest reapplying if you haven't already. I'm about to check applications so I'll have a look if I have time. You always have a chance of being accepted if you are younger than 14 years of age, but your application needs to be outstanding to show us your maturity and everything else required of a staff member. If you are an outstanding applicant but you are simply slightly younger than we prefer, you will still be considered. c:

Cat_Squirrel_Inc

Mythical
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    First off:
    So I recently just applied for helper, and not a day later I get denied. Now, it shouldn't come as a surprise, as it was my first time applying, but the reason I was denied seems kinda.... dumb? I was denied because "You don't have past experience being Helper/Mod." Why else would I be applying?

Common sense. When you apply for a job, you don't have past experience in that job. You apply because you want to GAIN experience in that job. I just think it's a bit counterintuitive to need past experience.

Now, I do agree you need past experience if you're going straight for admin or mod, but Helper? I thought Helper was like a trial rank so the staff could see how you handled yourself, to see if you're fit to be a moderator on the server. That's just my opinion, so I really don't want everyone coming and hating on me for this. I really want to become a Helper, and I'm definitely going to reapply.

Second:
    When I reapply, what am I supposed to do? Just resubmit the whole thing? Copy/Paste? I'd probably edit a few things, but do I just resubmit my previous one? I was told my last application was very well written and I have a lot of potential. Why change something that's already good?

Anyway, that's my rant. If anyone could assist me, that would be nice! Thanks for reading this. ^u^
    -Cat

Wobiee

Mythical
    Wobiee
    Wobiee Wobiee
    Hey Cat!

Sorry for the confusion regarding your application. All I could suggest is that you start a friendly conversation with the Sr. Mod / Admin that reviewed your application and you can go from there. If you need anything else feel free to message me or another staff member. ~MythicalWobbley

Cat_Squirrel_Inc

Mythical
    Cat_Squirrel_Inc
    So I've been trying to contact the person who reviewed my application, and I haven't had a single response. I've tried messaging them in Discord and here on the forums. I am still concerned about the reason I was denied. If that's how future applicants will be received, it's a shame. I don't believe one should need "previous experience" to be a Helper. It's the lowest level, and, as stated before, it's a way for the higher ups to see if you are fit for the staff team. Why else would would they be applying? I just want to see this resolved, and my application revisited. I honestly don't think a month's wait is reasonable for such a minor reason.
    (I'm so sorry if I seem aloof, I really don't mean to be. I'm just trying to be as straight forward and direct as possible ^u^)

-Cat

Wobiee

Mythical
    Wobiee
    Wobiee Wobiee
    So I've been trying to contact the person who reviewed my application, and I haven't had a single response. I've tried messaging them in Discord and here on the forums. I am still concerned about the reason I was denied. If that's how future applicants will be received, it's a shame. I don't believe one should need "previous experience" to be a Helper. It's the lowest level, and, as stated before, it's a way for the higher ups to see if you are fit for the staff team. Why else would would they be applying? I just want to see this resolved, and my application revisited. I honestly don't think a month's wait is reasonable for such a minor reason.
    (I'm so sorry if I seem aloof, I really don't mean to be. I'm just trying to be as straight forward and direct as possible ^u^)

-Cat
    Hey Cat, I understand what you mean when you say players applying for helper shouldn't need past experience. Seeing as the Sr. Mod has not replied to your messages I will be happy for you to message me with their name and I can try and sort it out for you. Message me on discord using this 'MythicalWobbley#9830'. I'd be more than happy to help. ~MythicalWobbley