• IP Copied!
  • How players treat staff members

Status
    Not open for further replies.

xHobbes

Titan
    xHobbes
    xHobbes xHobbes
    Since my rant post, I noticed the staff got a lot better. They interact with players a lot more often, and they give more attention to Mine Wars. If I had to rate the staff from a scale of 1-10, I'd say they were a 4 before my rant, and now they are a solid 6 or 7. A lot of the recent updates were phenomenal. The TMD update was great and its better then ever. My only complaints are that TMD Realistic isn't out yet and HN is down, but other then that I loved it. All I would like the staff to do now is update Mine Wars. Now that the TMD updates are over, I hope you get on to doing that. I'd love it if MW was out of beta by the end of the year.

LinkOFeare

Titan
    LinkOFeare
    LinkOFeare LinkOFeare
    On the thing about players being unhappy about updates:
    - What is true: the vast majority of players were fine with the gameplay prior to the December reset/update, there were a number of people who expressed concerns over the new changes in the update (multiple threads were written, people stopped playing), most of the arguments over TMD came after the changes in the update/OP TMD addition, Nickk put out a poll that resulted in 60% of people voting in favor of a merge (OP and Regular TMD) and then decided the results didn't matter and made his own decision not to merge only to put out another poll later and merge the two gamemodes, the ideas of combining the servers, cutting down on # of tmd servers, restoring infinite, no pain cooldown, cutting down the map size, fixing team plugin, etc. were proposed months before they actually happened.

We, as players, do understand that you guys put effort into the updates and try to please as many people as possible. However, what we don't like is that our concerns and ideas seem to get pushed down unless we're ranked players who have a close connection with staff members. I proposed many of the ideas that are just now being instituted months ago keeping in the mind the division and other consequences that would follow from dividing the server and making these weird changes. The only player motivated addition was like OP TMD which clearly had no purpose other than to divide the community (people from OP TMD don't seem to mind the fact that it's gone now because the old TMD gameplay is now back). At the end of the day, you can't satisfy everyone, so you have to make compromises. However, what other players and I proposed were compromises, not mere divisions like OP TMD. We just want our ideas to be considered with actual consideration, not just a couple sentences on a thread going against what we have to say because "we can't satisfy everyone."

Now on the matter of staff and player relations: No one thinks you all are chat bots, machines, robots. I think it's been well established that you guys have feelings too, so please don't be condescending and collectively insult us because we're some harsh, barbaric, and immature kids who have no common sense or decency. I don't think anyone that plays on Havoc, staff or player, wants to be labeled in that way, and we need to work towards making sure that neither group holds that kind of view against the other.

Directly for HellomanMC: I'll quote you twice in this thread.

"This is a serious issue and making a sarcastic or witty response just highlights immature and does absolutely nothing."
    "This may be a surprise to many people, but we have emotions, we react to hate, we can feel."

Again, no one actually thinks of you as a piece of machinery that just doesn't know what it's doing. This is a clear double standard where you point out people for being sarcastic and then just follow that with a sarcastic comment like it's a huge surprise you guys are humans.

To Mackiee: If you're not willing to fight for respect, you shouldn't still be a Jr. Mod. You can't just give up on the players because of some insults. "We are forced to fight to be treated like human beings on a Minecraft server." That's where you go wrong because THIS IS A MINECRAFT SERVER. And yes we had to make a forums thread because there's not proper communication between staff and players. I'm not going to blame all the staff for that, but it also isn't all of the players' faults. If they say you guys don't do anything, why are you letting yourself be so influenced by them? All they're doing is trying to stir up some fights and make you feel bad. If you know you're doing something right, that's all that matters, and if someone gives you criticism in a respectful and constructive way, just take that. What would it be like if you all resigned? Well that's irrelevant because all of you aren't going to resign, just the truth. If you're really hurt then you would have already resigned. Don't blame us for everything, let's just start talking about what we can change in the right way.

To the players: Let's start treating the staff members with some respect too. I was falsely banned for an entire month, but I wouldn't have gotten that overturned if I just hurled insults at the staff team and talked bad about them. I was extremely angry, but I had to be professional to an extent, and I got what I wanted only by treating them the same way I would want to have been treated. Instead of saying "lmao you guys suck" and "they don't do anything anyways," make a report if there's an abuse of power, write a lengthy thread laying out your argument, and have an actual discussion with staff members. Key words: Discussion, not Disrespect. We all share similar concerns, and the only way we're ever going to get a better community is by being respectful no matter what happens and trying to be rational.

To the staff members: All of this, the server and everything – it's not about you, it's about us. We understand that some people treat you like garbage, but that doesn't mean you have the authority to berate the entire community for the behavior of a couple reckless kids. What a lot of us don't realize is that solving a problem takes more than one quick step, and that's a reason for why a lot of people get mad so easily. There's plenty of people who also give constructive criticism too, don't forget that. You need to realize that your role as a staff member is to serve the players and not yourselves. So honestly, I don't care if you're feelings are hurt or you're sickened by what some people say to you: this is a minecraft server, not a fine dining restaurant. You should be ready to deal with insults and know that it will always be a common occurrence. If you are actually depressed and hurt by the comments that you get on this server, resign from your post and find something better to do. I'm sorry but if you really and truly expect for a group of kids to treat you nice, you're wrong. You can't come to a MINECRAFT server of all places and blame your depression on the fact that these kids are making fun of you all day. Get over it or just get out; sounds harsh but it's the truth. I'm not saying we treat you guys that great or that we will never treat you guys great, but all I'm saying is that you can't have such high expectations. I mean you guys even made a rule for disrespect/verbal abuse, so go and use that power.

There wouldn't be this much argument and disagreement if we all stepped up our games. Yes, that does mean players need to start being more respectful and kind. Yes, that does mean staff should start listening more to us. Make a council of old-time players who are serious about making the server better and have them contribute in some way. Just do something to get that communication in there because clearly it's not happening right now.

This goes for everyone that is reading this right now, whether you're a staff member or a player. Discuss, not disrespect. We're not getting anywhere by each of us blaming the other and pointing fingers, and that's exactly the kind of environment that this thread is generating. It's time that we stop insulting and blaming, and we instead start talking, respecting, compromising, and cooperating.

CravenPython108

CravenPython108
    CravenPython108 CravenPython108
    All I'm saying is; I'm not willing to fight for respect anymore. I know me and other staff members have legitimately worked their asses off to have a relationship with the players that isn't just: "Staff vs Players." Yes, we mess up. But we are forced to fight to be treated like human beings on a mine craft server. I'm sick of it, we had to make a forums thread regarding this issue because of how big it has become. We have tried to meet your demands: Moderators on discord, more mods on Mine Wars, Support Tickets not being opened more than 4 days. Our only response to that is; "Staff teams ****, they don't do anything." To accomplish every single thing that you want done everyday, our moderators would have to be on 6-8 hours a day. Like hell will any of us be forced to do that. The reality is; if this staff team is complete ****, what would It be like if we all resigned?
    Here's a quote from a friend of mine;

respect is earned, not given

Why would you expect us to grant you respect only because of your role on the server?

Filthypride_

Mythical
    Filthypride_
    Filthypride_ Filthypride_
    u're not willing to fight for respect, you shouldn't still be a Jr. Mod.
    That's a good point.
    d yes we had to make a forums thread because there's not proper communication between staff and players.
    Me as well as a Sr. Mod were discussing with you guys on discord how we can help, I had some pretty great suggestions, so I do thank you for that.
    "We are forced to fight to be treated like human beings on a Minecraft server."
    Yep, I still stand by that. Minecraft or not, we need to be treating each other with the little bit of respect we have for one-an-other.
    If they say you guys don't do anything, why are you letting yourself be so influenced by them?
    Sometimes quantity overrules quality.
    f you know you're doing something right, that's all that matters, and if someone gives you criticism in a respectful and constructive way, just take that.
    I wish it was respectful and constructive, as well as other staff members.
    What would it be like if you all resigned? Well that's irrelevant because all of you aren't going to resign, just the truth.
    It's hypothetical.
    If you're really hurt then you would have already resigned. Don't blame us for everything, let's just start talking about what we can change in the right way.
    We can play the blame-game for hours, theres no set person to blame. But we all have our opinions regarding the matter.

CravenPython108

CravenPython108
    We try to pull our own weight, as well as extra to help the server.
    That isn't a reason (for me anyway) that we should grant you respect, at least any more then the average player.

It feels like the same thing as Donald Trump saying "I'm president, respect me." True respect isn't based off titles, it should be based on seeing how the staff does their job.

I don't play TMD, so the only way I see the way y'all doing your jobs are from banning rule breakers after weeks of offenses, false bans (like Uac tracers and autoclickz kill aura) and all of that.

That ≠ respect.

Filthypride_

Mythical
    Filthypride_
    That isn't a reason (for me anyway) that we should grant you respect,
    What is your expectation of respect? Someone who kisses the servers ***? Dedicates their whole life to the server, or just specifically minewars? I'm sorry you don't like the staff team, and don't exactly respect it. But we all try our hardest to make this server hacker-free, moderated and try to listen to the players, but sometimes we can't do all of that.

CravenPython108

CravenPython108
    Yeah, I get that. You may not have asked for respect. But you fight for it daily for Minewars and the players of it. I've seen your threads and have responded to them since even before my promotion.
    I'm fairly certain you've never responded to any of my threads. If you did, I'd like to see this.

I'm also not sure what you mean about fighting for respect on Mine Wars. I don't bother trying to influence people's opinion of me; if they like me, great. If they don't like me, oh well.
    What is your expectation of respect? Someone who kisses the servers ***? Dedicates their whole life to the server, or just specifically minewars? I'm sorry you don't like the staff team, and don't exactly respect it. But we all try our hardest to make this server hacker-free, moderated and try to listen to the players, but sometimes we can't do all of that.
    Respect is, for me, something I judge mainly by seeing how the person handles different situations. This is a rather broad category, and a lot of things fall into this; how you react to being killed, how you react when you get a kill, how you handle salt, cursing little kids, and personal insults, how you judge who is and isn't a hacker, and how much of that evidence you obtained yourself.

I've never seen you online Mine Wars, therefore I have nothing to base respect off of.

Filthypride_

Mythical
    Filthypride_
    I'm fairly certain you've never responded to any of my threads. If you did, I'd like to see this.

I'm also not sure what you mean about fighting for respect on Mine Wars. I don't bother trying to influence people's opinion of me; if they like me, great. If they don't like me, oh well.

Respect is, for me, something I judge mainly by seeing how the person handles different situations. This is a rather broad category, and a lot of things fall into this; how you react to being killed, how you react when you get a kill, how you handle salt, cursing little kids, and personal insults, how you judge who is and isn't a hacker, and how much of that evidence you obtained yourself.

I've never seen you online Mine Wars, therefore I have nothing to base respect off of.
    Fair enough.

5oup

Hey, this thread is going to consist of me half-ranting and setting some facts straight. Keep the drama in this thread to a minimum as this is only meant to hopefully open some eyes up on a few issues.

So, the treatment of staff by the players. This is not a can of worms I wanted to open up but it seems like it's needed at this point unfortunately. From what I can see many players are angry at us for updates not coming out correctly, not listening to players ideas, and giving out punishments not deemed appropriate. Okay, you guys have the right to be a little upset. If one of my favourite servers had updated and didn't deliver I wouldn't be very happy. I also wouldn't be happy if our ideas weren't listened to or we received unfair punishments. The thing is, we don't try to make our updates come out half-baked, we don't try to ignore your ideas, and we don't try to be unfair with how we handle our punishments. We do make mistakes, as does everyone else, and we're sorry for that.

With all that out of the way, let's dive into the massive issue at hand. I'm going to put this very bluntly, we are treated like absolute garbage on a daily basis. We get it, we've made a mistake, how about you give us some constructive criticism instead of just ripping into us? I cannot believe some of the things I see said about us and said towards us on a daily basis. We are not perfect machines, we are not robots, we are living, breathing people. I'm sorry we can't make everyone happy, but we really try to please everyone. Let's all be honest for a second, what does saying "lol the staff suck" or "wow what trash staff you guys are" really get done? It does absolutely nothing except hurt us. Those are the incredibly minor things said by the way, much worse is usually said to us. As I said before, give us some constructive criticism for once instead of just throwing insult after insult at us to try to elicit a reaction.

Let's go back for a minute shall we? Remember how I said "It does absolutely nothing except hurt us."? How about we expand on this point. I've been staff for just over 20 months now, I've been subject to a lot of hate and drama from people over nearly two years now. Guess what massive amounts of insults and ruthless hate does to someone after long periods of time? It does a few things I'll tell you that much. To start, when I first applied and got accepted, and for the first eight or so month I was happy and positive about most things. Now if you look at me today, I'm not the same at all. I've developed depression for a multitude of reasons, but the constant negativity and insults from players is one of the reasons it developed in the first place. To add onto that, I don't even get hurt anymore from these insults. I'm that used to having this crap thrown at me on a daily basis that I've become accustom to it like it's something normal. Let's move away from me, I'm not the only one affected. I will not be naming names, but I personally know multiple staff that are feeling constantly stressed and overwhelmed from not being able to do anything about the hate they're receiving. It honestly hurts me to see my friends and coworkers be hurt like this.

If you're already typing a response to counter this thinking it's just me trying to "win back" the players after the mistakes we've made, just stop. This is a serious issue and making a sarcastic or witty response just highlights immature and does absolutely nothing. Furthermore if you believe that me mentioned my depression is a cry for attention or that I'm just overreacting, trust me when I say I would never joke about such a topic and I would never use it to elicit pity from others

This may be a surprise to many people, but we have emotions, we react to hate, we can feel. We are not perfect, mindless machines, we are people. For once it would be nice to be treated as such.
    Perks of becoming a staff member on any server with a toxic community. Fortitude in such a predicament is key. This is why I respect all of the staff members, but seriously if you're going for a position as staff member on any server, you should be prepared for anything that the community exhibits prior to your acceptance as a staff member.

To restate what Jahango said: "I feel like this is just a thing that comes with being staff, not saying it's okay for it to happen but if you can't handle hate then idk if you should be staff :/"

Katitude

Mythical
    Katitude
    Katitude Katitude
    Perks of becoming a staff member on any server with a toxic community. Fortitude in such a predicament is key. This is why I respect all of the staff members, but seriously if you're going for a position as staff member on any server, you should be prepared for anything that the community exhibits prior to your acceptance as a staff member.

To restate what Jahango said: "I feel like this is just a thing that comes with being staff, not saying it's okay for it to happen but if you can't handle hate then idk if you should be staff :/"
    Of course, I do feel bad for staff who've been here longer as they spend a lot of time and effort and don't go off on people and do their job well, yet after how many months, they're still treated the same way (or similar) since day 1.

Al_Cool

Champion
    Al_Cool
    Al_Cool Al_Cool
    If I could I would like to add a line about Mackiee! She have two facades. Most of the time, when someone have to do the dirty work, like being the one who's account name appear on a appeal who is denied; or so. I don't want to ask people to like her no matter what. But for my own experience, taking time to know her better, she is a really nice people to know. In my own experience, in every organisation there always is someone who's talk in a more direct way and always seems not taking too seriously criticism. On the other half, those people have learned that life isn't always fair and try to defend others by volunteer to say things that would not always being liked. So if you kinda understand my point and share it, could you like this rely to show that people understand how hard Mackiee work and sometime deserve more like's than what she usually earn?

About me this is not a thread about how staff would like to be interact with, its more to denounce the abuse by some people about disrespect and generalization. Somehow I feel that this is better to denounce abuse than doing nothing!

superjoshyman

I've been noticing the hate for a long time now and I've been going out of my way to defend the staff (including the builders) whenever a snarky comment is said as well as randomly giving $500 to all staff and builders on the server at the time. I completely agree with HellomanMC and it's very important that this was finally discussed and I'm very happy that it was and it gives me even more respect for the staff who work tirelessly without incentive or compensation for the time that they sacrifice, to make the server a better place. I think the mistreatment of the staff on this server is such crap considering how much they sacrifice for the server. This was something that needed to be said and it makes me want to play on this server more.

LinkOFeare

Titan
    LinkOFeare
    LinkOFeare LinkOFeare
    Of course, I do feel bad for staff who've been here longer as they spend a lot of time and effort and don't go off on people and do their job well, yet after how many months, they're still treated the same way (or similar) since day 1.

I think the mistreatment that's going on is a result of a lack of proper communication between staff and players. Clearly, neither side's message is getting to the other side, and threads like these just point fingers. It's about time that we should all start discussing how to improve the community instead of still fighting.

MrMe5303

Mythical
    MrMe5303
    MrMe5303 MrMe5303
    I think the mistreatment that's going on is a result of a lack of proper communication between staff and players. Clearly, neither side's message is getting to the other side, and threads like these just point fingers. It's about time that we should all start discussing how to improve the community instead of still fighting.

Agreed

Katitude

Mythical
    Katitude
    Katitude Katitude
    I believe someone made a suggestion box thread, you can list any ideas or suggestions there :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.